Cannot listen/play to other than midi channel 1.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ksavvi

Cannot listen/play to other than midi channel 1.

Post by ksavvi » Wed May 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Hello all,

I just bought today Auria Pro and as trying to get the basics I stumbled upon a very peculiar behavior to one of the most basic function a daw can have that is selecting a midi track and listen to the correspondent instrument it is loaded with.
The problem here is that I can listen only the midi track with the channel sets to 1.When I press the fx button in the port section I see:Channel 1,Input All,Output All and in all the other tracks it’s the same expect the channel number it’s 2,3,4 etc.
So all those tracks expect the one outputs to channel one I cannot hear a sound...why?
This is the first time I’m facing a problem like this and imagine that I have used Cubase on Atari up to all the major daws on a Mac or pc and this simple and basic function just worked all the times.Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I’m on an iPad 2018 with ikMultimedia iRig keys pro 25.

Rodolfo
Expert

Re: Cannot listen/play to other than midi channel 1.

Post by Rodolfo » Wed May 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi,
Would you please post some screen captures where your MIDI track setup can be seen?
From your description I can’t tell if you are using internal instruments, AU/IAA plugins, CoreMIDI apps or external sound devices in your MiDI setup.
If you are using Internal instruments (i.e Lyra) the MiDI channel should not affect it, but if you are using other apps/devices as destination then the proper MIDI channel must be setup in the target app.

Cheers.

ksavvi

Post by ksavvi » Wed May 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi and thank you for answering.
I’m using only internal instruments Lyra and the two FabFilter synths and I can only play and listen to the first midi track that outputs to channel 1,if for example change the midi channel of the track 2 or 3 or whatever to midi channel 1 then I can listen and play that track’s instrument.
But if at the same time keep track’s 1 midi channel to one then I hear both playing.
Also if I use the build in clavier I just choose the midi channel I want to play and it plays fine.

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 pm

When you say that you can’t play other tracks that are not using MIDI channel 1, what are you using to trigger those tracks? An external keyboard? If that is the case, your external keyboard is surely using channel 1 and that’s the reason you can’t trigger other MIDI channels.
Is that the case?

ksavvi

Post by ksavvi » Wed May 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Yes iRig keys i/o 25,it’s audio interface and midi keyboard at the same time.

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Wed May 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Well, now everything makes sense. Your iRig Keys 25 is using MiDI channel 1 as default, so unless you change that setting, you won’t be able to trigger any MIDI track in Auria Pro which is not set to MIDI channel 1.
When you set your tracks to MIDI channel 2, 3, 4, etc those tracks will listen to that specific MIDI channel only, and as your keyboard is only transmitting MIDI channel 1, they won’t be triggered at all.

You have two options:

1) Set all your tracks to listen to channel 1 (or preferably “All” as by default). Set the input port of the track you wish to play to “iRig i/o 25” (or the specific name shown in Auria Pro) and set the input port of all the other tracks to “OFF”.
This way you will be able to trigger the enabled track only.

2) Leave your tracks as you have already configured and change the MiDI transmitting channel in your keyboard to the specific track. This is a cumbersome procedure, so I would not recommend this option.

In conclusion: you don’t need to change the MIDI channel of your tracks, leave it as ALL by default. Just set the input port of all tracks to “OFF” and enable them (setting “iRig i/o 25” as input port) only when you need them to be triggered by your keyboard.

Hope this helps.

ksavvi

Post by ksavvi » Thu May 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Thank you very much for your help!!!
I had thought of this but as a workaround I never thought that this would be the actual way of how things works...such a pity....time consuming and counter intuitive...why things don’t work as any traditional daw for Mac or pc?Also garage band for iOS and cubasis and some other apps I tried!all of them are pretty straight forward to that specific function.
Anyway thanks a lot for your help :)

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Thu May 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Happy to help!
I believe that you maybe have a misconception on how MiDI works and how other DAWs work. I agree that Auria Pro since last update changed the way on how MIDI tracks respond to external keyboards. Previously you had to ARM the track in order to listen to the instrument (similar to Cubasis), now that’s not necessary, but at the same time now you need to select the MIDI input port. In other DAWs, you just need to “select” or arm the track in order to trigger the instrument because tracks are configured in MIDI Omni mode by default, but MIDI work the same for any app. If your keyboard transmits on ch 1 then there’s no way you can trigger an instrument which is set in a different channel.
The MIDI implementation in Auria Pro is far superior and flexible than any other DAW on IOS, but this versatility comes at the expense of simplicity sometimes. The dev is working very hard to improve MIDI capabilities even more (the AU MIDI effects capabilities changed dramatically in v2.23), so it is expected that some repetitive or usual tasks related to MIDI will be refined in upcoming updates.
Rodolfo