Update 2.22: Many MIDI AUs working ​

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

-ki
Expert

Update 2.22: Many MIDI AUs working ​

Post by -ki » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:59 pm

To counter my four new bug-report postings regarding MIDI AUs, i can happily state that i got the following MIDI generating AUs to work and also to record to the generated midi to their track in Auria Pro 2.22:
  • Alexandernaut Fugue Maschine
  • Audiomodern Riffer
  • Audio Veek Atom | Piano Roll
  • Blue Mango iFretlessBass (used as MPE midi keyboard, audio off)
  • Brambos Rozetta Cells
  • Brambos Rozetta Bassline
  • Brambos Rozeta Collider
  • Brambos Rozetta Particles
  • Brambos Rozetta Rythm
  • Brambos Rozetta X0X
  • MFTE Geoshred (with MPE midi out settings, audio off) (from Wizdom Music)
  • Numerical KB-1
  • PAGE Autony
  • rrc2soft Physicle Bouncy
  • rrc2soft Physicle Gravity
  • SevenSystems Xequence AU | Keys
  • SevenSystems Xequence AU | Pads
  • UVI BeatHawk (used as midi pattern sequencer)
How to set them up:
  1. Load the midi generating AU into the instrument slot of a midi track
  2. In the midi tracks 'channel strip' of the midi generator in the 'midi control' tab:
    • select the midi generating AU as input
    • and select the receiving synth/instrument plugin as output.
  3. Load the receiving synth/instrument/AU onto another midi track into the instrument slot
  4. For the receiving instrument, set the both midi input/output to 'off'
In the current AP 2.22 there is no need to record-enable the receiving synth. It worked for internal synth like Lyra and for AU synth plugins.

Caveat:
Rim is already working on the bug that the timing of the midi generator plugins is a bit off and that the first note may be missed

List of midi generating AUs not yet tested, because they need special setup (and i had not enough time):
  • AMI Pen2Bow (Generates midi CCs from Apple Pencil movenent)
  • Appo RouteMidi
  • AudioVeeks MIDI Bus
  • AudioVeeks MIDI Clone & Filter
  • AudioVeeks MIDI Curve
  • AudioVeeks MIDI De-Ghost
  • AudioVeeks MIDI Key-Zone
  • AudioVeeks MIDI Latch
  • AudioVeeks MIDI Route
  • Brambos Rozetta Lfo (Generates midi CCs)
  • Brambos Rozetta XY (Generates midi CCs and pitchbend)
  • Fred Anton Corvest FAC Envolver (midi CC envelop follower)
Last edited by -ki on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Espiegel123
Expert

Re: Update 2.22: Many MIDI AUs working ​

Post by Espiegel123 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:21 pm

ki: do you have Moog Model 15 or Moog Model D or LayR? If so, are you able to get their AU versions to receive MIDI from these AU MIDI generators?

-ki
Expert

Post by -ki » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:52 pm

This evening i did a complete test of instrument AUs regarding the receive-midi from generators problem.

I also have to report that i had problems sending over the midi when the generating AU was loaded into the instrument slot, as stated above. I don't know why, it this still works in the other Auria project where i tested the above generator AUs - but didn't work in a new project i created for todays test.

Rim stated in a posting that midi generating or manipulating AUs should be loaded into the insert slots and thats how it got my new test running.

Trancespotter
Expert

Post by Trancespotter » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks for the information! Can’t wait to try Xequence!

-ki
Expert

Re: Update 2.22: Many MIDI AUs working ​(UPDATE)

Post by -ki » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:18 am

For AuriaPro 2.22 :
. . . . put the midi sending AUs into the insert slot of a midi track !

Also confimed working with AP 2.22
  • AMS Software Photon (playing midi files)
  • Cem Olcay ScaleBud
  • Cem Olcay StepBud

Trancespotter
Expert

Post by Trancespotter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Using IDAM with Logic Pro X works as well.

So far I've briefly tested two MIDI different regions in Logic Pro and routed them to different MIDI instruments in Auria Pro, one with Fabfilter One and the other with FabFilter Twin 2, and they each played the correct MIDI region. I also added FF Micro to the Twin 2 and FF Pro-Q 2 to the FF One and both worked beautifully.

So far encountered two annoyances, though I think they can be fixed:

1) I was occasionally getting some crackles and pops on the FF One. They weren't huge and loud but they were definitely noticeable. Think might be fixed by changing some settings in either LPX or Auria but I don't know where. Oddly, they went away when I turned my iPad back on after it fell asleep, though I also had to re-select the IDAM input and output in the Auria channel strip. Dunno what to make of this but it's working with no crackles and pops now :D

2) All of the instruments that are playing on Auria will play through each External Instrument routed to the iPad, so that means their volumes are added each time a new iPad External Instrument is added. To workaround this I just kept one External Instrument channel un-muted and muted the rest. I think LPX has an option to demux this (if thats the proper word) so that it'll break it out into separate channels, but you'll have to record to audio to do that. I may also be completely wrong on that :lol: . This is also specific to LPX and not Auria because when I use Audiobus with multiple instruments running this exact thing happens. Either way, this means that you'll have to set the individual volumes/pan/reverb/FX of each instrument in Auria Pro because it'll be output into one channel in LPX. That's not too bad though since Auria has a great channel strip.

Overall, this is AWESOME because this means you can combine Logic with Auria to create one giant portable super DAW with top-notch synths and FX!

I haven't tried sending a synth from LPX to Auria Pro where it could get EQ/Compressed/Reverb'ed with Auria FX and then sent back to LPX to possibly get further mixed with LPX, though I may try that...