Popping noise

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

CDRowe

Popping noise

Post by CDRowe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Since updating to the latest release I get random snaps and pops in my recordings.

Everything is setup exactly the same as before, and until the update I was getting perfect recordings using a Souncraft ui24r mixer via USB to an iPad Pro.

Any idea what can be causing the popping? It is not channel specific.

Corey W
Expert

Re: Popping noise

Post by Corey W » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 pm

It sounds like you may have a sample rate mismatch issue between Auria and your Souncraft ui24r. Check the settings on your ui24r to see what the sample rate is set to and make sure your Auria projects are running at the same rate.

CDRowe

Post by CDRowe » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:59 am

I have been researching a bit and believe you are right about the sample rate mismatch.

I will be able to test it out in a few days, but I think that is the problem.

Thanks much for your response!!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:36 am

What Corey is explaining here is very difficult to achieve in iOS. A daw in iOS is the master clock when connected to an audio interface. In no way will iOS allow the daw to be a slave to your interface when connected to usb. You would recieve a warning in iOS telling you that there was a mismatch in sample rate but that warning is very rare as your audio interface will automatically switch to the sample rate you chose when you create a new project due to apples core audio.

So there are some questions about your project that can arrive at the problem.

First what sample rate is the project in?
What is your buffer sze?
Do you have a significant amount of plugins open?
If you are at say 96k and you are mixing with plugins open and your buffer size is too low (64/128/256)you will get pops and crackles randomly which is what your getting from your description. This will occur at any sample rate but especially 96k. There is also currently crackles and pops on an iPad Pro under iOS 12 when moving the built in plugins in Auria especially in 96k especially Fab plugins..

Try raising your buffer as high as it will go to see if the problem goes away and also Freeze some tracks that have plugins open. Finally reboot your iPad. Cheers and good luck.

CDRowe

Post by CDRowe » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks. I have been able to determine that the ui24r ONLY supports the 48 bit rate and I had mistakenly set the project up as 44.1. My bad.

I never record with plugins. I actually am recording all our band practices from the ui24r to Auria and creating mixdowns to pass around to the band member to practice with. It works great for this!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:11 pm

CDRowe wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:06 pm
Thanks. I have been able to determine that the ui24r ONLY supports the 48 bit rate and I had mistakenly set the project up as 44.1. My bad.

I never record with plugins. I actually am recording all our band practices from the ui24r to Auria and creating mixdowns to pass around to the band member to practice with. It works great for this!
Good to hear. Cheers. By the way I didnt mean recording with plugins, I meant mixing with open plugins with a very low buffer will also cause popping not just a mismatch in sample rate. Cheers.

Gespacho

Post by Gespacho » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:12 pm

The buffer size was causing this issue for me, on playback. I upped the size, and the pop is gone. Thanks.