Record the busses

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Roulian

Record the busses

Post by Roulian » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:07 pm

Please, make the busses available as inputs for recording.

theconnactic
Expert

Re: Record the busses

Post by theconnactic » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:22 am

I second that!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:45 am

Please explain why you need to record the busses.

Roulian

Post by Roulian » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:23 am

Because I need to record (track 1 + fx) on track 2, while moving my finger on the x/y pad of fx of track 1, which is playing.

Ps: I'm not interested in soloing track 1, outputting it to the master, and recording master on track 2. I need to be able to listen to the other tracks while recording.

Would you record a guitarist and ask him to play without the drums and the bass?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 pm

You would use automation to accomplish this. You also dont have to set a track to master to include a bounce of your bussed tracks, you can do this with a solo selective mixdown. You need to learn what busses are before asking for a rewrite of the code for the bussing system to accomodate your described workflow. IA buss track is a wiring system not a live recording track, thats why they invented automation. As for your drum and bass question, I ‘ll pass answering because its a stupid question. Use your daw appropriately and you will get everything done that you need.

Roulian

Post by Roulian » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks for your very kind answer Anthony. What I want is recording track 1 onto track 2 in real time. So if you have a solution with Auria with no automation, I'm taking it. I have a Bachelor of Science in Audio Technologies of the University of Salford, thus I know exactly what I'm talking about, and I know C++...
Concerning the guitar player, I admit, it is not a good analogy.
Last edited by Roulian on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:01 pm

1. Set the output of track 1 to BUS 1, then set the input of track 2 to BUS 1? Would that work?
2. OR as Anthony says, record the finger movement in an automation lane on track 1?

I think both of these would work.

Roulian

Post by Roulian » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:03 pm

I could also record in Auria. Export my audio file to Loopy HD. Audiobus it with effect in real-time back to Auria and re-record it to Auria. But such a hassle... I can do it with other DAWs too...
Everything is possible...
But something more convenient would be nice... something that would set Auria appart from other DAWs...

Roulian

Post by Roulian » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Jmcmillan wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:01 pm
1. Set the output of track 1 to BUS 1, then set the input of track 2 to BUS 1? Would that work?
2. OR as Anthony says, record the finger movement in an automation lane on track 1?

I think both of these would work.
Unfortunately, Jon, the Busses don’t appear as input sources when in record mode.

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Thinking your setup is:
1. Track one midi track with an instrument in the instrument slot
2. A filter effect controlled by XY pad on an insert effect on track 1
3. Track 2 is Audio effect with record armed

You want to take the audio output of track one and record to track 2.

Maybe some details like this would help get a solution for you.

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Ah yes, I see. Well then option 2 with recording automation from the XY pad. Then track 1 will have audio or MIDI on it, your FX and the XY pad changes. Done.

I’m a little confused why one would want to record track one’s output into track two - with the only change being XY pad changes? Basically on the master you’ll get summed audio of (track1+FX) + (track1+FX+XY pad)? Won’t you then have to mute track 1? Not trying to be snarky, but trying to understand the problem.

Roulian

Post by Roulian » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:33 am

Jmcmillan wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Ah yes, I see. Well then option 2 with recording automation from the XY pad. Then track 1 will have audio or MIDI on it, your FX and the XY pad changes. Done.

I’m a little confused why one would want to record track one’s output into track two - with the only change being XY pad changes? Basically on the master you’ll get summed audio of (track1+FX) + (track1+FX+XY pad)? Won’t you then have to mute track 1? Not trying to be snarky, but trying to understand the problem.
Thank you Jon, I tried to write automations of turnado through their x/y pads, but didn't get any success.
It seems it is possible to write ONLY automations of AU through track editing lanes, which take all the fun out of playing in real-time through touch, as written by Anthony Alves: viewtopic.php?t=15269

This is why I want to record track 1 onto track 2 in real-time, and thought doing so through a bus would be great.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:09 am

I think you should be able to do this with AudioBus:

Send the track you want to record to one of the Sub Groups

Then Launch AudioBus and set the input as Auria --> Sub 1 (or whichever sub your track was sent to)

Set the output to Auria (This will create a new track in Auria)

You can optionally set Turnado in the FX slot in AudioBus or just use it in the FX slot on your track in Auria, either option should work. Record your automation and the resulting audio will be recorded to the new audio track.

Roulian

Post by Roulian » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:05 am

richardyot wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:09 am
I think you should be able to do this with AudioBus:

Send the track you want to record to one of the Sub Groups

Then Launch AudioBus and set the input as Auria --> Sub 1 (or whichever sub your track was sent to)

Set the output to Auria (This will create a new track in Auria)

You can optionally set Turnado in the FX slot in AudioBus or just use it in the FX slot on your track in Auria, either option should work. Record your automation and the resulting audio will be recorded to the new audio track.
Yes, I succeeded in doing this the other day, richardyot! I just wish I could record the busses buffers. It would make things more convenient to have more inputs in Auria, and to route signals internally in an easier way. Because you can route an audio signal outputting from one track to a bus; and then put this bus as an input to another track, and as soon as you press the record button, it all disappears. This is very frustrating, and definitely not the behaviour expected. Making some routing, and as soon as you press record, it all disappears...
So please, make the busses as available inputs in recording mode in Auria. To me it's a bug.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:22 am

Yes that sounds like a bug.