Buffer Size messed up

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Schimanski
Expert

Buffer Size messed up

Post by Schimanski » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:56 am

Does anybody have the same issue!If I choose buffer size 512 it says „currently using 470“.The same is happening with all buffer sizes, it always
shows „currently using...“ a much smaller size.
And whenever I open a IAA or AU plugin there is a terrible crackle as long as the plugin-window is open.
Right now AURIA is quite unusable - donˋt know about other DAWs.

Schimanski
Expert

Re: Buffer Size messed up

Post by Schimanski » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:00 am

I forgot: this is on a new iPadPro 12.9 latest iOS, latest version of Auria.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:44 am

The crackles are caused by a bug with the 2018 iPad Pros running most audio apps on the low-power cores. It affects all music apps, not just Auria.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15935

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:13 am

richardyot wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:44 am
The crackles are caused by a bug with the 2018 iPad Pros running most audio apps on the low-power cores. It affects all music apps, not just Auria.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15935
I have this problem and I dont own the latest Pro but Gen 1&2. It is related to ios 12 or at least that is when it started for me. In addition trying to use Fabfilter plugins in a 96k projects produces croackles when adjusting the fab controls. Between the app and ios updates everything is a mess. I posted a video of the buffer issue on an iPad 2nd gen. Hopefully Rim noticed it and is fixng it. AuriaPro is unusable for me right now on my 2nd gen Pro under iOS 12.01. If I upgrade to iOS 12.1 its even worse as I lose access to my Orion 32. Cheers.

Schimanski
Expert

Post by Schimanski » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:37 pm

So Ìˋm not the only one...Thanks for your answers.
I am running a small recording studio for a living, so Ìˋm glad I always have Logic running on my main computer!
Every iOS update is a ruin for my iPad workflow with Auria!!!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 am

There are two issues mentioned in this thread and I don't believe they're related. iOS 12 introduced some issues with the Core Audio system that affects buffer sizes. This causes the buffer size to differ from what as requested. On some iPads it'll cause crackling when trying to play out of the built in iPad speaker or record with the built in mic. There's also another iOS bug that causes audio crackling when opening GUI windows or scrolling. This seems to be related to low power cores being used instead of high power ones. As developers, unfortunately we have no control over these issues. Hopefully Apple will fix them soon.

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:01 pm

I think it might even be 4 separate issues:

1) Buffer size being reported incorrectly

2) Core Audio Glitches when interacting with the GUI, introduced in iOS 12

3) The new 2018 iPads will only use 48khz for the internal speakers, causing sample rate mismatch issues with most music apps that are using 44.1khz

4) The 2018 iPad Pros have a major Core Audio bug that causes CPU spikes with even 1 or 2 AU plugins loaded (due to the audio being incorrectly sent to the low-power cores for processing).

The issues specific to the 2018 iPads have been discussed on other forums, and are separate to the GUI interaction issues introduced in iOS 12.