Drum machines, syncing, replacing tracks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

indratgj
Expert

Drum machines, syncing, replacing tracks

Post by indratgj » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:13 am

I use DrumPerfect Pro as my drum machine. I initially created rough drum parts to use primarily as click tracks and exported these to Auria. After we've recorded the other main instrumental tracks, I would like to be able to go back in and overlay the click material with final, fancier versions of the drum parts.

I'm not slaving DrumPerfect to the tempo generated by Auria. Instead, I am just using the export function of DrumPerfect, and then importing into Auria, with the tempos sent the same in both products. My question has to do with the accuracy of the tempos within DrumPerfect and Auria. Assuming I have the tempos on both software products sent to the same value, will the tracks line up perfectly when I export and import the final drum parts.

Have any of you had experience doing it this way, and did it work out fine?

Thanks,
Travis
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Drum machines, syncing, replacing tracks

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:55 am

Yes AuriaPro can master clock to DPpro and DPpro will respond to Aurias start and stop of the transport. In fact DPpro has some of the most interactive functions inside any iOS daw including direct recording of the seperate drum parts into seperate tracks in your daw at the same time. As far as clock timing and lock up it works great. Only thing to watch is DPpro is cpu intensive so its best not to try locking up DPpro to an already cpu stressed project. If Im creating the drum parts after a full production I will mixdown the project and load that mixdown into a new project and then add the drums and then import the drum tracks back into the original project that the drums were intended for. I use DPpro daily and I trigger my drums and then load my samples into DPpro for that particular track. Good luck and Cheers ~~__/)~~~*

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks Anthony.

It sounds like you're saying that I should use the master clock in Auria to line up with the transport stops/starts, even when I do my initial click track. And I can use the real-time direct recording feature to lay down this initial click.

Then, after everything else is recorded, when I have the new drum parts ready, I would just do the same thing: i.e., Auria master clock and real-time direct recording to put down the new parts. Assuming I have enough CPU to do this. I will not be running any effects or processing, so hopefully I will.

The main difference between what I've been doing what you seem to be recommending is that I've not be using the master clock approach at all. I've just been setting DrumPerfect and the Auria project to the same tempo. Then doing a simple export/import. With this technique I was worried about the two applications drifting apart in time by the end of the song. Is that the advantage of the master clock approach: that it prevents this drifting?

Sorry for the newbie questions, especially since I'm not so new.
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Thats right there is no timing drift throughout the track. DrumPerfect Pro will stay tightly clocked to AuriaPro. Cheers.

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Thanks Anthony!