Freeze doesn't release synth CPU?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Simonb

Freeze doesn't release synth CPU?

Post by Simonb » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:16 am

I froze some tracks which were using Interapp synths, in this case the Moog 15. I was expecting the 60% CPU to drop to nearly nothing but it just stayed where it was. I tried closing all apps, restarting Auria, rebooting the IPad but whenever the project loaded again the CPU went back up to 60%.

Finally, I unfroze the track and selected a less CPU-hungry synth and the CPU dropped immediately.

If the track has been bounced in place to a waveform when frozen, shouldn't Auria let go of the synth at this point?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Freeze doesn't release synth CPU?

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:32 am

Freezing a track with an IAA is not the same as a mixdown or bounce in place because its only temporary and therefore Auria does not eject the IAA but rather holds it in the background which continues to use up the CPU memory. So the only way to truly free up the CPU in this senario is to mixdown or bounce in place the track and then manually eject the Moog Model15 app.
This is different from Aurias built in plugins as they can be unloaded. Some apps do not eject themselves when not being used by Auria and must be manually ejected. In fact sometimes a full reboot of your iPad is needed to fully eject IAA apps from running in the background. Cheers.

Simonb

Re: Freeze doesn't release synth CPU?

Post by Simonb » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks Anthony. I’ll try that.