How to use IAA for Audio recording...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Trash
Expert

How to use IAA for Audio recording...

Post by Trash » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:05 am

I'm asking this here because I am not sure if it is a bug or something I am doing wrong.

I recently downloaded Synth One (Audiokit's excellent freeware synth - highly recommended if you are into Synths) and would like to use some of the sounds in my pieces.

I assume/assumed this would be possible using Inter App Audio. I haven't used IAA Instruments before so I could be missing something but the steps, according to the manual should be:
- Tap FX button
- Select 'Audiokit Synth One (inst)' from the list of available plugins

According to the manual the following things should happen
1 - The selected Track in Auria should switch to Record
2 - The interface should switch to the Synth One interface
3 - An IAA transport control bar should appear

In my case the Synth one Interface does appear but
1 - The input source stays on Mic (I have a pair of Apple headphones plugged in which also include a mic input) and
2 - The IAA transport bar does not appear

I've added a screenshot of what I am seeing on my iPad (Pro running iOS 12.01)

Can some helpful person please advise me on what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_9F0D9F31EFF6-1.jpeg
IMG_0054.jpg

wigglelights
Expert

Re: How to use IAA for Audio recording...

Post by wigglelights » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:52 am

I just tried it here and it worked -
You also have to enable the master record button in the Auria transport (top right) and then hit the play button. Then switch back to your synth to play the notes.

FYI, you may want to consider Audiobus - this would allow you to have the record and transport controls visible in Synth One.

Trash
Expert

Post by Trash » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Thank you for the reply @Wigglelights
wigglelights wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:52 am
I just tried it here and it worked -
You also have to enable the master record button in the Auria transport (top right) and then hit the play button. Then switch back to your synth to play the notes.
So yes I *do* know that but that basically starts recording immediately whereas from the manual (such as it is) it implies that you should be able to control the recording using transport controls that *should* appear in the 'other' device (in my case Synth One).

Which leads me to the other part of your response...
wigglelights wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:52 am
FYI, you may want to consider Audiobus - this would allow you to have the record and transport controls visible in Synth One.
This sounds like what I was expecting with IAA.
I've quoted the relevant section of the manual below which (unless I am interpreting it incorrectly) implies I should be able to use IAA to control the transport from within Synth One.

Using IAA with Instruments
As IAA can be used to route audio between apps, probably the most common use will be for recording 3rd-party instrument apps into Auria projects. Doing this is fairly straight-forward within Auria, as the following example will outline.
ScreenshotX2018-10-20X20.57.15.png
Blue-colored names in the insert list represent available Inter-App Audio compatible apps
Inserting and Recording an IAA Instrument in Auria
1. On a blank audio track (either mono or stereo as needed) open the Insert section by tapping the FX button
2. In the list of available plug-ins any IAA-compatible apps will appear in blue, so select the desired instrument
3. The audio track will automatically switch to a record-enabled state (required for monitoring)
4. The iPad will switch over to the instrument’s display
At this point an instrument will be inserted on one of Auria’s audio tracks and be ready for recording. In this example a synth app called Magellan is shown, but other IAA instruments work similarly.
ScreenshotX2018-10-20X20.58.38.png

Inter-App Audio compatible apps will display a special bar when run via IAA
5. Tap Record followed by Play on the IAA transport bar to start recording in Auria
6. Play the instrument app
7. Tap the Play/Pause button again on the IAA transport to stop recording
8. If needed simply rewind and re-record, and if not...
9. ...Tap the Auria icon in the transport bar to switch back to Auria
10. Disarmthetrackandremovetheinstrumentfromtheinsertwhenfinishedrecording.Closethebackground
app by double-tapping home and sliding the instrument up off the screen
Inter-App Audio instruments can be synced via MIDI Clock just like any other virtual MIDI app, and will appear in Auria’s MIDI Settings tab (once they are inserted on an audio track). This way IAA-compatible instruments which utilize sequencing (like drum machines) can be synced with Auria’s tempo and recorded in- time with existing projects. Please refer to the MIDI Sync Chapter for more information on how to set this up.

Note: Auria Pro users have an additional option when working with IAA Instruments, as they will be selectable on MIDI tracks via the INSTRUMENTS Menu. Please refer to the MIDI Sequencing chapter for more information.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:49 am

It looks like it is an issue with SynthOne, that somehow they did not implement the IAA transport into the app. That team has a presence on the AudioBus forum, perhaps you can try reaching out to them directly.
While I usually use Audiobus and Audiobus remote, I have used apps that do show the IAA transport with Auria, so I don’t think it’s an Auria issue....