Best way to create faux stereo track from left-channel-only recorded track?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Alteredmoods

Best way to create faux stereo track from left-channel-only recorded track?

Post by Alteredmoods » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:18 am

Hi,

This is a two-parter.

1. Figuring out how to use Auria Pro with my Apogee Duet USB. I have one mic, and so far I'm only getting the left channel recorded. Mostly makes sense, it's a single mic in a single port on the Duet. But is there a way I can get faux stereo sound recorded at all?

2. So far I've recorded some takes and, as described above, I'm only getting the left channel picked up. How can I get a faux-stereo image?
a. New mono track B, copy the waveform from Track A to Track B, pan A hard left, pan B hard right, solo both tracks and mixdown?
b. New mono track B, copy the waveform from Track A, panning, route both tracks to a subgroup, and record?
c. Something simpler?

Thanks for the help

Phil999
Expert

Re: Best way to create faux stereo track from left-channel-only recorded track?

Post by Phil999 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:30 pm

simplest way is as you described, with an additional detail: move the copied recording (mono track B) a couple of milliseconds. This will result in a slight stereo effect. This is an old and often used technique.

In such discussions it is always important to point out that most instruments don't have stereo information, and therefore are recorded in mono. A singing voice, a trumpet, a violin. And it's totally alright to leave it as it is, pan pot in the center. Next to the described delay-technique one usually uses a bit of reverb, to make the (mono-) sound a bit more spacious. It always depends on the recording, how many tracks/instruments, if natural reverb is already recorded or not, etc.

wigglelights
Expert

Re: Best way to create faux stereo track from left-channel-only recorded track?

Post by wigglelights » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:12 am

Hi
There are good tips here for “fixing” what you have.

However, the best bet is to record it properly in the first place; add a mono audio track and select the left channel as input. As mentioned, most real-world sources like mics or guitars are mono, or single channel, and should be recorded to a mono channel track. Once done, you’ll have the pan knob to control that tracks placement in the stereo mix.
I think it’s a common misconception that recording to a mono track somehow limits what comes out in the mix which is not the case. Tracks need to match the input.

Hope that helps