Consistent tempo

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

EssexGooner
Expert

Consistent tempo

Post by EssexGooner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:08 pm

I have been given a guitar track that speeds up during the 4mins or so from 94bpm to 110bpm. Is there anyway to smooth it out and make it the same tempo throughout?

Thanks

therealdmt

Re: Consistent tempo

Post by therealdmt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 am

Try Auria Pro’s Time Stretching feature.

Here’s a video explaining how it works:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5eXGJpgVjZY

Audio Quantize may be another approach that could work, but the playing has to be close to the beat for it to work, so I don’t think this is gonna be your best bet (might be possible if you do it bar by bar, but I’d look into the Time Stretching feature I mentioned above first)

Good luck and, if you read this, let us know how it goes!
Last edited by therealdmt on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

EssexGooner
Expert

Post by EssexGooner » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:27 am

Hi, Time stretching was the first thing I tried but it assumes the tempo is consistent in the first place. The increase in speed remained relative to whatever I did with the overall speed.

I ended up trying to break the song down into chunks when the speed noticeably increased. Not really ideal but I think I can get away with it as it isn't so obvious now. Most songs, even professionally done have speed variation unless the recording has an automated drum beat to start with so I hoped there was a trick of the recording trade to smooth these things out but I'm yet to find it.

Thanks for help and response anyway.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:02 am

There is no easy way to smooth out a performance with varying tempo that I know of.

What you can do instead is to work with the original (fluctuating) tempo.

If you use the free Music Memos app and play the recorded guitar into it, it will map the tempo internally, add bass and drums to it in the app. You can then open the Music Memo file in GarageBand and sequence around the original audio. You can then export the tracks (one by one unfortunately) to Auria.

therealdmt

Post by therealdmt » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:33 am

richardyot wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:02 am
If you use the free Music Memos app and play the recorded guitar into it, it will map the tempo internally, add bass and drums to it in the app. You can then open the Music Memo file in GarageBand and sequence around the original audio. You can then export the tracks (one by one unfortunately) to Auria.
Cool tip! I’ve wondered how I could make use of the Music Memo auto-drumming outside of the app itself...

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:47 am

therealdmt wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:33 am
richardyot wrote:
Cool tip! I’ve wondered how I could make use of the Music Memo auto-drumming outside of the app itself...
You can even change the drumming after the fact in GarageBand, just select the Drummer track and fiddle around.

EssexGooner
Expert

Post by EssexGooner » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:42 pm

richardyot wrote:
There is no easy way to smooth out a performance with varying tempo that I know of.

Hi thanks for the tip. I have tried this and unfortunately the speed of the recording still went faster. The drums and bass increased in speed with the original recording. It didn't seem to affect the tempo from the original.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 am

EssexGooner wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:42 pm
richardyot wrote:

Hi thanks for the tip. I have tried this and unfortunately the speed of the recording still went faster. The drums and bass increased in speed with the original recording. It didn't seem to affect the tempo from the original.
Yes that's right, if you read my post that's what I said: you work with the original fluctuating tempo.

I don't know of any way to even out audio with uneven tempo.

EssexGooner
Expert

Post by EssexGooner » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:41 am

Okay, sorry I misunderstood what you was suggesting.

Pigdragon
Expert

Post by Pigdragon » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 am

Also see the thread “Tempo Map” on this forum, which might be something like what you’re looking for.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:04 am

I have had some luck using transient markers to fix smaller, and less extreme, parts of projects, but it was quite a bit of work.
The trick was to do it all manually, framing the “ok” areas with markers, and placing then stretching other markers to get it closer to the beat. In your case I’d most likely chop the track to reasonable pieces, use time stretch to get it in the ballpark, and then go surgical with the transient markers.
One bit of warning, I’ve run into some nasty crashes when I’ve gone too far down this rabbit hole, as from what I can tell transients are non destructive and processed in real time. My work around has been bouncing to a new track often.....

And while it’s not always an option, sometimes the best plan is to re-record the track with the player working with a metronome ;)