MIDI bug or normal behaviour!!?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jellybean

MIDI bug or normal behaviour!!?

Post by jellybean » Wed May 30, 2018 3:32 pm

I created a midi part, 2 bars long (just a humble click track for tracking drums), I decide to change the tempo, the midi part is now completely out of sync!!!!!!!!!!!??

Is this a bug? Or is this another example of the very odd way in which midi has been implemented in Auria Pro?

I’m beginning to fear that the ‘afterthought’ of midi has only been half thought out and that Auria Pro is still really just an Audio friendly DAW. This isn’t a terrible thing, but when something has been sold as something it Is not....that’s annoying.

theconnactic
Expert

Re: MIDI bug or normal behaviour!!?

Post by theconnactic » Thu May 31, 2018 12:26 am

There’s nothing half baked in Auria’s MIDI implementation: owning all the main iOS DAWs, I can safely say MIDI tools in Auria are by far the most complete and powerful. This issue you’re describing is a bug, yes: a fairly annoying bug that I hope will be squashed soon - Auria is a complex app, developed by a team of one. Sometimes the solution takes a while. But I’m sure it will come. Plus, the workaround is simple: snap the MIDI region to the next or previous bar, and you’ll notice everything is synced. A way to prevent this from happening is aways snap the midi clips to the first bar if you intend to change the tempo. Cheers!

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Thu May 31, 2018 6:30 am

The 2 issues I have highlighted on the forum recently are relatively fundamental flaws IMO. In the case of the midi part that needed re-syncing after a tempo change! that’s not a minor bug.

Actually this ‘bug’ came to light after discovering another one relating to sync being messed up after running a tempo synced IAA (Patterning drum machine) and it wasn’t just one region that went out of sync, it was many in random positions along the timeline, this bug effectively corrupted an entire session...ie. I couldn’t reliably continue working on that piece of music.

In the case of the click track I had created, again it wasn’t just one region, it was a region that had been duplicated many times and they were all out of sync...not just start positions but the notes within the parts!! This kind of problem is no fun when you are trying to work and is a fundamental flaw. For example imagine you are working on a song for which many midi parts have been created, you get the singer in and realise that the global tempo setting needs to come down a few bpm?!! Nightmare scenario!!!! LOL

Personally I would sacrifice many of the bells and whistles in Auria for basic functionality such as the ones I have highlighted so far.

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Thu May 31, 2018 7:30 am

I found the same kind of thing and found the same workaround...I hope bug can be squashed soon!

I try to bounce to audio soon after making a MIDI track...I wonder if this issue happens to audio after a tempo change or adding a tempo map?

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... Clip+shift

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Thu May 31, 2018 12:48 pm

Just thought of another work around...going to try later when I get some time.

OPTION 1 as already stated - record the MIDI clips from M1B1 so that the shift does not happen

OPTION 2 if clips were not tied to M1B1...
1. Finished some MIDI tracks...
2. Need arises for tempo change...
3. Export (or save somehow?) Midi tracks/clips in the Auria folder
4. Delete MIDI clips from the MIDI tracks
5. Change tempo (nothing gets out of sync because there are no clips to get out of sync)
6. Import MIDI clips back on to their tracks

Maybe these will work as a work arounds until bug is fixed?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks guys, I'm aware of this one and it's on my list to address. Those sound like good workarounds in the mean time.

Rim