Automation

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Frankv3
Expert

Automation

Post by Frankv3 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Automation is one of my biggest editing tools and it has proven quite “Helter Skelter” for me to use in Auria. Moving the points around with accuracy seems very difficult. Especially in small increments. And I don’t have big fat fingers. And keeping the value the same when touching it with my finger seems impossible. It’s jumping all around. I feel I don’t have the control I had with PT. Also, the points seem to move around at times on their own and new points magically show up. Also, sometimes when trying to move points the whole timeline slides instead of the point.

Am I missing something here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Automation

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:59 am

The best way to enter small timing for values like 1/8,1/16 note, just set your snap value to those beats like 1/16 and zoom into the track until you see the grid lines that represent that value. Also you should be vertically zoomed so that you are looking at only the track your automating. I can’t explain the points moving on their own as I have never experienced this or the points being added on their own. I do know that if you are not zoomed in enough it is possible to add points and move points that you can’t see so always work in the largest zoom when drawing automation. Now, I do agree that obtaining any info of an exsisting point like say db value is very dificult as it only displays that value for a split second when tapped and holding your finger on the point in order to see the value,only results in moving the value from its original point. For this fix there could be a write mode and an info mode where when in the info mode, no points can move but all the info for that point is displayed and remains displayed until another point is selected. Another advancement would be a cross hair under your finger that represents both timeline and db or simply where the point is vertically and horizontally. And this cross hair should include the values as you move the point both up and down and side to side. I’m not sure why developers decided to make editing that is hidden under your finger on a touch device. Since the user actually can’t see what’s going on under their finger. It is also important to have these automation points snapp to the grid and not change large values with a very slight movement. So if I move my finger an 1/8th of an inch the values shouldnt change from 0-60 and I should be able to stop at any value, lift my finger and that value shouldnt change due to lifting my finger. Developers might think this is silly but I believe its because of these frustrations that some people put the iPad down and go back to their desktop. This is just a users opinion of course. I feel your frustration. Cheers.

Frankv3
Expert

Re: Automation

Post by Frankv3 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Thanks for the info, Anthony. At least I don’t feel that I’m totally inept at something that should be simple. While I have zoomed the track when automating I probably haven’t made it as big as it could be, but at times I need to see other tracks in relation to what I’m automating. You have given the engineers some good ideas. Hope they follow through with some of them. Honestly, this automation difficulty has been the biggest roadblock to me totally embracing Auria. Oh, one thing that I didn’t mention is having trouble selecting a point at times. Sometimes I can touch it all day, poking around it to find the “right” spot and it doesn’t light up until I select another point then go back to the one I want and it will sometimes light up. Thanks for your help as always. Cheers!