Stuidio headphones for mixing

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jrech
Expert

Stuidio headphones for mixing

Post by jrech » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:49 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for headphones to get that would work for mixing songs with? I have some monitors but I can’t lusten to them loud. I would like to add some headphones to the mix.
iPad Pro, Auria Pro - https://jodyrech.bandcamp.com

amahdigital
Expert

Re: Stuidio headphones for mixing

Post by amahdigital » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:31 pm

Hello jrech,I’ve been using the KRK KNS 8400 Headphone monitors for a couple of years now and switch between those and my rockit6 monitors when mixing down my tracks.
I find these headphones to be fairly well balanced neutral with very wide dynamic range -( revealing ) hope this helps.

Frankv3
Expert

Post by Frankv3 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:06 pm

Wouldn’t mix without my Sony MDR-7506’s. They might be a little bright for some people but the are accurate and let me hear everything with clarity. But we always have to find what works best for us.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:33 am

Love my Focal Spirit Pros.

Denzkps
Expert

Post by Denzkps » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:31 pm

Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdinamic DT770
And AudioTechnica ATH 50M

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 pm

you want some Avantone Mp1 headphones.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/avantone-mp1

designed specifically for mixing. Be warned though, without the correct headphone amp (hi powered) they wont sound good.

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:14 am

Frankv3 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:06 pm
Wouldn’t mix without my Sony MDR-7506’s. They might be a little bright for some people but the are accurate and let me hear everything with clarity. But we always have to find what works best for us.
Absolutely. Sony MDR-7506's are like the Yamaha NS-10's of headphones. The old studio standard Yamaha NS-10 monitors are going to reveal exactly how your mix sounds, good & bad. No exaggerated bass or hyped highs.

Sony MDR-7506's are extremely similar in that respect for headphones. They translate what is going on in a mix, they're very honest and at $100 are really essential in my view. I use different headphones occasionally but _always_ either completely mix on 7506's or at least test mixes with them.

Whatever brand you choose, you will get better results if you use closed back, over the ear headphones, but openback, on the ear can work too. I've used Bose IE2's, which are earbuds/in ear monitor type 'headphones' and they were actually quite useful and a good compliment to my 7506's. The key in using those types to mix with is that they must not be overly hyped with expanded bass or noise reduction gimmicks.

Whichever headphones used to mix it's always prudent to test mixes on monitors to get another perspective and ensure compatibility.