How to grab files to use as reference tracks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Frankv3
Expert

How to grab files to use as reference tracks

Post by Frankv3 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Hello everyone. This is probably a long subject but can anyone explain the different ways to capture songs from sources like Spotify or YouTube and use them as reference tracks on a project? This is a very important step for me. And will the file type be compatible with Auria which is obviously WAV? Thanks for any light which you can shine my way.

boone51
Expert

Re: How to grab files to use as reference tracks

Post by boone51 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 pm

You are correct that there is a multifaceted answer to your question, but I’ll try to simplify it as much as I can. The best (legal, or at least not questionable) method would be to take tracks you own and load them into Auria from your pc. When connected to iTunes you can easily move the tracks you own the rights to into your library and them add them into individual tracks as reference within your various songs. But...

There is another way as well (more than one actually but I’m going to give you the most straightforward one and leave it up to others to offer other options). If you have Spotify, like I do, and you don’t have nefarious sampling purposes...you can use an app called Amplifind as an IAA plugin on a track, and that app will link to your Spotify account. I’ll leave out the details of questionable legality for you to figure out from there. If you are an artist, inherently you steal from other artists and their sounds end up in yours. That’s the nature of learning who you are as a musician. And no one will ever wag a finger at you for doing that. And..I know I’m not talking to you directly, but more of the boarder potential viewers out there. Stealing is stealing. And you damn well know when you do it. Don’t. Ok....stepping of the soapbox now. But this method I mention, it’s nice. I use it for exactly what you describe.