Which Korg Module apps to get?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jrech
Expert

Which Korg Module apps to get?

Post by jrech » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:31 pm

I just got module and I am looking at the in app purchases. I know I need to get ivory because those are really nice sounds. What other ones should I look at getting? I have Galileo organ so I don’t know if I need to get the organ patch. What do you think? I was thinking of getting Neo Soul Keys Studio so I don’t know if I need the Wurly, and classic-ep88m upgrades. What do think? The other upgrades I don’t know. Let me know which ones I should look at?
iPad Pro, Auria Pro - https://jodyrech.bandcamp.com

richardyot
Expert

Re: Which Korg Module apps to get?

Post by richardyot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 am

The only Module expansion packs I don't like are the Triton pack and the Mellotron, the others are all pretty nice. Although IMO the Ivory Grand isn't as good as some other pianos available on iOS, but the main reason I like it (and all of the other Module expansions) is because they are then available in KORG Gadget for easy sequencing.

I think the best expansions right now are the Ivory Grand and the KAPRO Orchestral Dreams (which has a lovely cello amongst other things). The electric pianos are nice, but I still Neo Soul Studio has better EPs.

jrech
Expert

Post by jrech » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 am

Thank you. I am thinking of getting Neo Soul Keys Studio and parkscroft 275 piano today. I was going to get ivory but I will hold off for right now. I don’t use gadget. I don’t know what that is. I do all of my sequencing in auria and edit all the playing there too. I should look into it. I was thinking of igrand and ilectric but I am going to get the other ones first and see how I am doing. I can always get them if I need them.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 am

iGrand and iLectric are pretty long in the tooth by now, Neo Soul and Ravenscroft definitely have much better samples.

jrech
Expert

Post by jrech » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 am

Thank you. I was thinking of getting Neo Soul and Ravenscroft today. I have an iPad Pro. Space shouldn’t be a problem. I have igrand free and it is pretty cool. I just have a feeling the more more you have the less the sound. I can get a lot of pianos with igrand but the sound isn’t as good as Ravenscroft. I liked the wah Clavinet on ilectric but like the adding of wah to any electric piano in Neo Soul. Same thing with ilectric lots of electric pianos but I am guessing sounds aren’t as great.

jrech
Expert

Post by jrech » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:16 pm

I just got Ravenscroft 275 and neo soul keys studio. I have been playing with the apps but not in auria yet. I have to do that. Very nice sounding apps. I don’t think I need to get igrand or ilectric. What Korg expansions do you suggest? I know you suggested the orchestra one but is ivory still needed if Ravenscroft is so nice? I guess if ivory has a piano and orchestra together patch or something cool like that then it is needed. Do I need to get the electric piano expansions if I have neo soul? Do I need the organ sound expansion pack if I have Galileo Hammond organ? I have some money left and can get the expansions that are left to get.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 am

It's up to you :)

Personally the main reason I have the Module expansions is for use with Gadget. For standalone I prefer the other apps (Neo Soul and Galileo). The Module expansions will give you extra options if you want them, but there's also something to be said for getting to know what you already have.

Except of course the Module expansions are on sale at the moment...

jrech
Expert

Post by jrech » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:08 am

I like a little bit from module and Neo Keys, Galileo and ravenscroft. I think Ravenscroft and the orchestra sound from the module make a cool sound together. I got most of the korg expansion packs. The only ones I didn’t get where the pads. I don’t think I will need them to much. The other ones had different sounds than the stand alones. Since they where on sale it was a good deal. All that is left is igrand and ilectric. I don’t think I am getting those. I have igrand free but it doesn’t do much that the more than the other ones. It looks cool though. Ilectric doesn’t have a free version so I am not going to touch it. Do you have igrand or Ilectric? Do you think they are good and need to get?

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am

I do have the full versions of iGrand and iLectric, but I think they've been surpassed by the newer apps. Neo Soul Studio is much better than iLectric IMO.

jrech
Expert

Post by jrech » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:10 am

That’s what I was thinking. Ravenscroft is awesome. I really like that one. Neo Soul is really good too. I think I am skipping igrand and ilectric. The module app has some good add ons too. I like that one too. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

jrech
Expert

Post by jrech » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 am

The only thing I have left to get are the pads. The triton and the dreampad one. I may get those to finish up the korg. I know you said the triton is not good. I am not sure. When does the korg sale end? I really like Galileo organ too.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm

I have the pads, I like them but you can get those kinds of sounds in other synths too quite easily. The Triton expansion is just too cheesy sounding for me, but YMMV, especially if you're into those 80's and early 90's type of sounds. Play the demos in the Module Expansion store and listen for yourself, also you'll see that the more recent expansions have multiple demos (they're scrollable).

jrech
Expert

Post by jrech » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:35 pm

I checked those out. Hank younfor the tip on multiple demos. I did not know that. Do you have suggestions for other apps that play the pads? They are cool and I won’t use them often but I would like to check out all of the possible choices I have.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:19 pm

There's dozens and dozens of synths on iOS. The best are probably Zeeon, Moog Model 15, and Mood. Poison 202 is also well regarded. Synths can do all sorts of sounds, not just pads, and they all come with many presets.

Also, and specifically for pads, Alchemy in GarageBand is really awesome.