Sampler?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mollybloom
Expert

Sampler?

Post by mollybloom » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry if this question is old or if it's non-sensical :-)

I was wondering if Auria has a plugin where it's possible to add individual drum sounds (single hits of hh, snare, bd etc.), to trigger them via the piano roll in auria and then to route each drum sound to its own channel for mixing purposes? I know it's possible to use Auria's midi to trigger third party plugins (i've been using DM1 for instance), but I always seem to get into various trouble when using this solution; trouble with timings, with the sounds, with weird pops etc., plus not all third party plugins can be routed to separate tracks The lyra drum sampler doesn't seem to offer this option, or, alternatively, i'm an idiot who hasnt figured out how to use it, hahaha.

Cheers

Thederekfrank
Expert

Re: Sampler?

Post by Thederekfrank » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:52 pm

I use drumagog thats in the Auria store. Works really well!!

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:32 am

Thanks for that tip! However, drumagog is presented as a "drum replacement tool" -- will that also enable me to do what i want with samples (and no replacement per se)? And, furthermore, can it also be used to trigger other, non-rythmic samples such as basslines?

Jesus, music production is a jungle :-)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:37 am

What you describe is easily possible with Lyra. Just add a Lyra instance to every track of your project. For example, if you have an eight track project, add eight Lyra instances, one per channel. Then choose the appropriate instrument on each Lyra instance (kick drum sample on one, snare drum on another, etc). You can then route the channels to your audio interface's outputs however you need to using the output matrix.

Rim

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:53 am

I tried adding a lyra to each track, but how do i get the samples "into" lyra, and how does lyra recognize them as bass, kick, snare etc.?

sukEEt
Expert

Post by sukEEt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:51 am

Record one instance then share it to Lyra ...

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:00 am

But I have the samples in various sample libraries, i.e. no recording; would you then import the sample to a track (from dropbox or whereever) and add it to lyra? And how is the latter operation done? It seems like a pretty elaborate operation just to add samples to a sampler...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:18 am

Lyra supports all the major sampler formats including EXS, SFZ, SF2. It will also directly read WAV files. All you need to do is copy these files into Lyra's sample folder and they will show up in the list of samples. Or, as others have suggested you can use Auria's Share functions to import a part of an existing audio region into Lyra as a sample.

If you're using iOS11, the easiest way to access Lyra's samples folder is through the Files app. The folder is called Sampler Instruments. Just create another folder inside there and add your sampler into it.

Rim

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:51 am

I've added the files in many different ways and both as zipped and unzipped files, but I cannot for the life of me find them anywhere when i open the lyra sampler in Auria. If add a number of bass samples too the "bass"-folder under auria (in file manager,) is it supposed to show up as an option in the submenu for the bass-lyra sampler in auria?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:38 pm

There's a folder in Auria called Sampler Instruments. Inside this folder are several sub folders. Just add your samples inside one of those folders (zip files are not supported). For example:

Sampler Instruments
Bass
sample 1.sfz
sample 2.sfz

As long as your samples are: SFZ, EXS, SF2 or WAV they will work fine and show up in Lyra the next time you launch Auria. If you're using files that contain a folder of samples (for example EXS or SFZ), you need to also add that folder into the sample subfolder as your SFZ file.

Also, it's important that your sample files have the proper file extensions. For example sample.sfz. It must have the .sfz at the end.

Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Ha, I'm getting where the op is stuck: he's adding individual samples to the Sampler Instrument folder, without a correspondent sample library/soundfont file. Lyra cannot create sample libraries yet! (will it ever, Rim?) You must either create a soundfont for your samples in your computer and then follow Rim's instructions, or instead import all your intended samples as audio tracks to the arrangement window, then select each created audio region, go to the EDIT menu and choose "Import to Lyra as sample". All the imported samples will show up in the Lyra sound menu in a "user samples" submenu or something like that. Good luck!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:21 pm

That's right, Lyra, like most typical sample players doesn't create libraries. It's just a sample playback engine. You need an actual EXS, SFZ or SF2 file and the associated WAV or AIF files that come with these files. However, Lyra will also play single WAV files if you add one to the folder structure.

What this means is Lyra is capable of playing some pretty elaborate sample libraries, including multi gigabyte piano and string libraries. But you need the sample libraries and their sample folders.

Rim

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:12 am

I'm very pleased to hear that lyra can do this :-)! However, the two answers as to how to do it confuse me; can i add wav files directly to Lyra or can I not (and, almost as importantly, can I add them through itunes/audioshare and not through the actual arrangement window in Auria, which seems like an unreasonable hassle when i have hundreds of drum single hits)? Or do I need a sfz file?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:20 am

Yes, you can use a file management app to move WAV files directly into Lyra's folder structure. No need to use the arrangement window. The next time you launch Lyra, you'll see the WAV samples appear in the list.

If you have iOS11, you can also use the built in Files app to move files into and out of Auria's folders.

Rim

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks so much for taking the time to answering my questions, Rim. One last thing, though: you say I can see the files, but where, exactly, can I see them in Auria? I feel like I have tried doing this, but nothing pops up; there are still the same old synths (like bass, strings etc.) in the lyra popdown menu. If put them into lyra's "drums"-folder, for instance, how do i recall the sounds when i start an instance of Lyra? And according to which parameters are the many samples organized?

It other words, what is the "list" you're talking about, and how is it organized?