Clicks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dobronaut

Clicks

Post by Dobronaut » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:51 am

Hello everyone, I’m new here, this is my first post. I love Auria - it’s changed my whole approach to recording. However I have a problem when using Lyra. On all my recordings that use Lyra I get digital clicks on playback. They are not always in the same place, and are not there when doing the recording itself. I presume there is something in my setup that is causing this. I have an Air 2, and it sits in a Focustite itrack dock. Has anyone else experienced this?

mtingle
Expert

Re: Clicks

Post by mtingle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 am

perhaps increase the latency in the settings to 4096.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:05 am

mtingle wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 am
perhaps increase the latency in the settings to 4096.
With Lyra instruments (meaning MIDI tracks) the maximum latency available is 512, which is the default, so sadly probably won't help.

To the OP: mtingle is right, the problem is arising because the CPU can't render the MIDI cleanly in your project. You should freeze or bounce some of your MIDI tracks to free up resources. You should also take some time to read up on latency to understand how it can affect your project.

Denzkps
Expert

Post by Denzkps » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:59 am

I don't know why, but I also very often encounter such a problem. Even when the CPU is below 20-25%. Freze is a good solution, but I want to be able to edit MIDI track.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:04 am

Is there a specific instrument in Lyra (or set of instruments) that causes this problem for you?

Also, do you have any other apps running in the background? Try closing all other apps, reboot the iPad, then create a simple one track project with no other plugins to see if it still happens.

Rim

Denzkps
Expert

Post by Denzkps » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:51 am

Rim wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:04 am
Is there a specific instrument in Lyra (or set of instruments) that causes this problem for you?

Also, do you have any other apps running in the background? Try closing all other apps, reboot the iPad, then create a simple one track project with no other plugins to see if it still happens.

Rim
for example Stereo Grand and Finger Bass
I don't have any apps in background
I wanted to send small project to you from Dropbox but Auria can't connect with dropbox and always asked autorization. )

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 am

Do you have the Dropbox app installed on your iPad? You need to delete that app. Dropbox has an issue with that app and it will prevent other apps from using Dropbox. Once you delete that app, and log into Dropbox within Auria you can reinstall it again.

But there's no need to send me a project. Please just do this:

1. Create a new project in Auria
2. Add one MIDI track
3. Record some simple notes
4. Press play.

Let me know if you have the problem with this simple project.

Rim

Dobronaut

Post by Dobronaut » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:54 am

folks, thanks for all your input. And especially Richardyot. I’ve solved the problem by freezing any tracks with effects. It’s a 22 track project and about half the tracks had effects. CPU usage has reduced considerably. I’m now click free! I’m very pleased, this problem has been troubling me for a few months. Richard, just one question - what do you mean by “bouncing”?

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:09 am

Bouncing just means rendering the track to audio - it derives from multitrack tape machines where to free up a track you would need to "bounce" tracks together. For example in the sixties on a 4-track tape machine you might have recorded the instruments on 3 of the tracks, so then the engineer mix down those 3 tracks onto the 4th track, thereby freeing up the original tracks for further recording. In a DAW like Auria it just means you render the track to audio, baking the MIDI and/or plugins down to a sample audio track. Like in the analog world it's a destructive process to free up resources.

So if you have a track with lots of effects, or a MIDI track, you can select it in the editor view and go to Process --> Bounce Track In Place. Or alternatively solo the Track and go to Edit --> Mixdown making sure to select the option to import the mixdown as a new track (allowing you to then delete the original). The Bounce In Place option is quicker and more direct though.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 am

Freezing is similar to bouncing, except it's non-destructive since you can always un-freeze the tracks later. Only problem is that you can't re-order frozen tracks and my OCD personality can't really live with that, so I always bounce instead - I need to be able to organise my tracks.

Regarding latency, you should understand that latency helps you with CPU usage: the higher the latency in your project the more plugins etc you can run. However high latency makes it tricky to record a musical performance because it introduces a lag into the audio chain, the higher the latency the longer the lag. If you're playing percussion, or fast parts, anything less than 128 might be problematic. When tracking vocals I can't stand anything higher than 128 either.

Also, if you have MIDI tracks in your project then the maximum latency available is 512, without MIDI you can go as high as 4096.

The way I approach a project is to keep my latency at 128 during the recording and tracking phase, and avoid using effects as much as possible at this stage (I might add a reverb for tracking, and some compression here and there, but just the bare minimum).

Then once I've finished recording all the parts I will bounce all MIDI tracks to audio and then set the project latency to 4096 for maximum CPU usage and start mixing and adding plugins. This approach works well for me.

Dobronaut

Post by Dobronaut » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Richardyot, that's very helpful. You've given me lots to think about. Thanks very much for your time. I do appreciate it.

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Ive had it with Focusrite! 🤬
Nothing but probs and getting random messages about connection issues even though it works intermittently.
Garbage! I wont be buying a nother thing from focuscrap!

Rusko
Expert

Post by Rusko » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:39 am

I've been having super bad crackling issues with my itrack dock...and it's nothing to do (well, directly) with latency/buffers. [the crackles kind of went away for a couple of weeks for reasons i don't know, but today with ios 11.4.1 they returned--apparently--without stopping.]

What i did was stop monitoring out of the iTrack, and monitor directly out of my 12.9" iPad Pro. [I work around the iPro not fitting in the dock by running a female-to-male Lightning Connector cable into the iPad.]

Splitting duties into input/output instantly fixed the problem.

not sure if this is relevant to your guys' problems, but knowledge is power! ;)

Rusko

p.s. I love the dock and have used it non-stop for 4 years.

however, the constant connection glitches annoy me and have wasted countless hours, not to mention that its "class compliant" MIDI claim is utter b.s. when it won't recognize my Arturia MiniLab, among many others. I hate those two issues, but i've gotten countless-countless hours of great stuff from that little dock (especially when i kludged the iPro to it!).

Gary wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 pm
Ive had it with Focusrite! 🤬
Nothing but probs and getting random messages about connection issues even though it works intermittently.
Garbage! I wont be buying a nother thing from focuscrap!
Dobronaut wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:32 pm
Richardyot, that's very helpful. You've given me lots to think about. Thanks very much for your time. I do appreciate it.