Humanize Not Fine Enough Control

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Humanize Not Fine Enough Control

Post by rickwaugh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:09 pm

I have been trying out some of the midi controls. I have a drum part, which has some long tom and snare runs, 16th notes, and as usual, they sound like a machine gun. So I tried humanize on them.

It's much to coarse. What I would assume I'd be able to do is finely adjust the timing, just enough to give it a bit of irregularity. But when I select a group of 16th notes, even if I tune the control done to the barest sliver of adjustment, it still drops and rearranges the notes quite a bit. Should this not provide a finer degree of control?

richardyot
Expert

Re: Humanize Not Fine Enough Control

Post by richardyot » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:16 am

That's weird, when I use humanize it does just move the notes a tiny bit, and what's more you can move the dial anywhere form 0% to 100%, giving a lot of control.

On a side note if you want to avoid the machine-gun effect it's a good idea to use drum samples that have round-robin (ie several samples per drum and velocity level so that there is a variety of sounds). DrumPerfect Pro, Funk Drummer, Rock Drum Machine should all work well. If not, Drumagog can also help to bring life to a drum track, and has round robin samples.

rickwaugh
Expert

Re: Humanize Not Fine Enough Control

Post by rickwaugh » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:49 am

Interesting. I’ll try it again, after the patch comes out. :D I have been altering the velocity of consecutive notes. I’ll see what I can find on roundrobin samples.