Trimming at Zero Crossings - Workflow (& problem when zooming in deeply)

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Oscar South

Trimming at Zero Crossings - Workflow (& problem when zooming in deeply)

Post by Oscar South » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 am

Can anyone recommend any workflow tips for trimming samples at zero crossings? I'm finding it very difficult to do accurately as when you zoom in far enough to edit at sample level, there is no visible reference as to where 'zero' actually is. Ends up being a process of trial and error.

Am I missing anything obvious, or are there any tips that people can pass on for speeding this process up?

Cheers,
Oscar

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Trimming at Zero Crossings - Workflow (& problem when zooming in deeply)

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:24 pm

There's an option in the settings, under the edit tab called "Snap to Zero Crossings". If this is checked, Auria will automatically snap to zero crossings.

Rim

Oscar South

Post by Oscar South » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:00 am

Thanks, this helps massively.

Edit: this is already on, I actually noticed yesterday that I wasn't having much trouble with clicks at the beginnings and ends of the samples (which I edited with more 'broad strokes').

But when trying to delete audio glitches and things at the sample level it's still clicking. Does it only work at lower zoom levels or some such? (it's actually another thread I'm going to post: Auria is creating 'metrically perfect' imperfections in the audio in a way that is impossible that it happened in tracking - these samples were recorded randomly in 'free time' on the timeline and dragged into this position).
image.jpg

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks for letting me know about this. I checked in the code and for some reason I had commented out the snap to zero crossings functionally by mistake in a previous version ;) I fixed this, so it'll appear in the next update. Sorry about that!

Once this works again, the snap to zero crossings functionality should work on all region-level edits. In other words, moving a single region, moving the trim handles or copy/pasting a single region. It doesn't work for global edits, like moving the cursor, etc (since there's no way for Auria to know which track or region you want to snap to).

Rim

Oscar South

Post by Oscar South » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:06 am

Thanks very much. This is brilliant information to know!