Question about Auria Pro and suitably

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

donka

Question about Auria Pro and suitably

Post by donka » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to replicate a feature of Ableton Live on the iPad and wanted to ask if Auria Pro can do the following with time warping:

Import some songs (audio tracks) to mix together at a common tempo - minor adjustments of the tempo of each track so they all match.
Set markers to automate changes in tempo and volume.
Export as a single final mix.

This is in effect creating an 'offline' mix so I can fine tune as needed.

Thanks in advance,
Andy.

theconnactic
Expert

Re: Question about Auria Pro and suitably

Post by theconnactic » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:37 pm

It can be done, but it will require some work at your end.

It can stretch audio, but you have to do it manually, either using transient warping or stretching the regions as a whole, or using audio quantize. You can change tempo and even signature using the Tempo Track (which is not a regular track, but another window), but it won’t you give visible markers in the arrangement view where the changes occur; you’ll have to take note of it or switch to the Tempo Track to check out. Of course you can do a offline mix. Have you ever used Logic or ProTools? That’s where Auria firmly sits; it’s nothing like Ableton Live.

Good luck!

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:47 am

I think (at this point in its development) the general idea in Auria is 'know you're tempo changes before you start recording', as things can get a bit dicey if you start making huge changes after the fact. The app is always evolving, so who knows what the future will bring, but at least for now I agree with theconnactic that it currently reflects an old-school Logic/Pro Tools workflow of 'record and tweak' rather than the sort of tempo magic you'd see in something like Ableton.

donka

Post by donka » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:13 am

Thanks both for your replies.
I must stress, I'm not recording anything as such, I'm simply adding a few existing tracks that overlap and exporting as a single track.

Lets say I have 2 tracks - one at 117bpm and one at 122bpm.
I would want to import the first one, select it and warp it to 120bpm. Now I would import the second track and again warp it to 120bpm so they both match.
I would now simply overlap the second track over the last 30 seconds or so of the first track, matching up the beats and then set a couple of markers to fade in the volume of track 2 and fade out the volume of track 1.
Once I was happy this all matched up and sounded good, I would export this as a single audio track.

I did some reading up on this and tried out Ableton Live demo which can do exactly this but I would much prefer to find an iPad app that can do it for convenience. As you can see, I don't need the vast majority of what these apps are capable of and I apologise for my lack of correct terminology as I'm not a musician or sound engineer, just a hobbyist looking to produce some audio mixes for at home and in the car.
It sounds like this isn't an option in Auria Pro though so my search continues.