Fading MIDI?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Balrok

Fading MIDI?

Post by Balrok » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Hello all,

I'm trying to fade out some MIDI tracks; I've inserted the fades but when I play it back I can't hear anything fading out. Is there some setting that is preventing MIDI fading that I'm not aware of?

Balrok

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Fading MIDI?

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:41 am

If your talking about fading a midi track then you just use the track automation no special midi message needed. If your fading inividual midi notes than you use the midi editing screen to draw in you midi velocity. Tap beside the pencil to access the midi drop down menu. If you still have midi IAA pluged in than those midi apps may not be responding to the midi message. What is your midi sound source? If IAA are the track record lights on for monitoring IAA plugins? Explain your setup here and I can be better help. Cheers and Good luck.

Balrok

Post by Balrok » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks for your response, Anthony!

That's what I originally tried, just using the track automation by grabbing the corner handle, and it displayed the fade so I thought it would work. However as I played it back, I couldnt hear any fading. I tried it with multiple tracks to no avail. Eventually I just ended up automating the master fader to fade it out...

The midi sound source was the built-in Lyra virtual instruments.

Thanks,
Balrok

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:27 am

Even Logic Pro X won't non-destructively fade in/out a MIDI region. In Auria Pro, I do the same I'd do with Logic: I bounce the track - in Auria is a little more problematic because the "undo" button also undo copy actions (I begged @Rim to change that, will beg again, lol), so you cannot Bounce In Place>copy the audio region>Undo to get the MIDI track back>paste the copied audio in an audio track. So I instead solo the MIDI track, Menu>Mixdown>wav>Import as a new track, and mute the original MIDI track.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:43 am

Balrok wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:57 pm
Thanks for your response, Anthony!

That's what I originally tried, just using the track automation by grabbing the corner handle, and it displayed the fade so I thought it would work. However as I played it back, I couldnt hear any fading. I tried it with multiple tracks to no avail. Eventually I just ended up automating the master fader to fade it out...

The midi sound source was the built-in Lyra virtual instruments.

Thanks,
Balrok
The handles for fade are for audio tracks. This is for audio fade in and out not level automation. To draw in midi velocity use the midi editor as I described. It works great with the built in Lyra instruments. Tap the piano icon on the track, then tap the drop down menu beside the pencil and choose velocity. Now you can draw in your fades with your finger and you can even use the snap feature to better control the fade. Cheers