How to read signal level in waveform view?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Yaroo

How to read signal level in waveform view?

Post by Yaroo » Thu May 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Is there a way I can read signal level from waveform view? How do I find what is the level of peaks in a region? I would like to use it for manual creation of transients and other things, but couldn't figure it out.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: How to read signal level in waveform view?

Post by Rim » Thu May 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Yes, you can do this by highlighting the section you want to check, then going to Process and Normalize. In that screen, there's a SCAN button. Pressing this will give you the peak and RMS levels you're looking for for the selected region. You don't have to actually do the normalizing itself, just press the scan button.

Rim

Yaroo

Post by Yaroo » Fri May 26, 2017 12:41 am

Thank you. Can you advise if I can use these values to make Create transients more precise? Auto mode does not create all transient markers I would expect, so I thought I check the peak value and set the start threshold just below this level manually, but then it creates no markers at all. Can you tell what should I set both start and end threshold to to have it working?
IMG_4506.JPG
IMG_4507.JPG

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri May 26, 2017 5:15 pm

Start threshold is the main control you want to play with. End Threshold is only used so Auria can figure out where your drum hit ends. So that's really only useful if you're slicing the audio afterwards. I assume you're trying to identify drum transients? Other instruments won't work as well (for example if you're using a vocal track, etc).

Rim

Yaroo

Post by Yaroo » Sat May 27, 2017 3:09 am

Yes, what I'm trying to set the markers for is snare with quite prominent transients obviously. But I'm doing something wrong, as per screen shots I attached I set the start threshold below the peak measured the way you described (Normalize --> scan), but no markers created. Does it mean Create transients does not use peak value to find transients start or Normalize / scan does not read the same values as used by Create transients?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat May 27, 2017 7:07 am

The threshold knobs don't simply adjust the audio threshold like a basic trigger would, they adjust a combination of things, including the audio threshold, the onset slope, etc. It's a "magic knob" per se. So there's no scientific way to arrive at a value, it must be done by trial and error.

Rim