Analogue recording

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Gary
Expert

Analogue recording

Post by Gary » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Hope no one minds me posting this here .... I'm reaaly just asking what anyone thinks I could fetch for a good working condition cassett 4trk (Fostex x-26)? Its a blast from my days of first starting to record. I have no idea what anything like this would be worth. Any ideas out there?

Phil999
Expert

Re: Analogue recording

Post by Phil999 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 am

if it is in good condition, why not? But as you surely know, there are many possible problems, for example

- tape head abrasion after longtime use, and possibly no replacement available
- tape transport mechanics (including belts) that may not work (reliably) anymore
- old capacitors (which can be replaced)
- bias, recording levels, VU meters, etc. need recalibration after a couple of years
- difficult to find good tape material (at normal cost)
- you need a de-magnitizer, you may find one somewhere second-hand

So it really depends on the condition and age of the device. Or how much time you want to invest in repairing and servicing. I recommend to test the device thoroughly before buying. Record each track with the same signal at the same input level, check the meters, check the playback. This takes at least half an hour. Best thing is of course to buy a fresh serviced and calibrated device.

Myself I still occasionally use a Tascam 238, and it is working fine. I also have a second one for replacement parts.

Gary
Expert

Re: Analogue recording

Post by Gary » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks for the tips! Yeah quite a bit of maintenance on these old nostalgic machines. Good idea on the testing! If I end up not selling it at least it'll make for interesting discussion with folks in my home studio. Thanks again

stromberg-carlson
Expert

offtopic...

Post by stromberg-carlson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:08 pm

I still use a Fostex D2424LV HDD recorder and master to DAT. Still use floppies.

go to fleabay and search sold/completed listings to see what the trend is.

fostex x-28 is on auction for $229.00 US
30 to 50 dollars US for a untested to working condition X-26