New Auria Video You Really Need To Know This

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

New Auria Video You Really Need To Know This

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Here I answer my number one question I get and that is how to get good headphone level while recording and mixing without raising your track levels leaving you tons of headroom for plugins and mastering. Cheers and enjoy my friends. :)
https://youtu.be/c3hcl24hyVs

Tovokas
Expert

Re: New Auria Video You Really Need To Know This

Post by Tovokas » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Very cool Anthony. Coming from the analog world, it took me years to give up recording hot, and a few more to realize that a simple twist of the volume knob (or better yet the limiter gain as displayed) was my friend in getting levels up to where I needed them for tracking and monitoring.

And I second your praise for PSP. Their stuff is excellent, and it's a huge plus to have the channel strip and limiter built in for free. (Busspressor is excellent!)

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:19 am

I posted a comment on YouTube that I'll paste here too...
(Have to say that Tovokas echoes what I said to a tee. Coming from analog for years to digital was a complete change in regards to select recording habits that we just all took for granted.)

Thanks Anthony. Coming from an analog background I remember it took me quite awhile to get used to digital levels. Using PortaStudios & 1/2" reel to reel it was always about getting good, hot levels to tape. It's the exact opposite with digital however, where as you demonstrated perfectly, without noise & such high headroom -14db is HOT in digital. I was amazed how ingrained that analog mindset took to shake, like even the old consideration of recording voxs last due to highs being slowly shaved off by repeatedly by playing & overdubbing on tape has to be forgotten... like no dude, record the vocal third after drums & guitar it's fine! I'm sure you'll understand having the experience you do, but young cats starting now should get used to seeing low db levels as a good thing that techniques like shown in the video will help foster. Great stuff, be cool...
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:01 pm

This is stuff I needed. Very very very very nice video! It learned me good. Thank you! Now, I gotta watch it again and see if I got any questions. :)

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:08 am

As always, thank you, Anthony.

Wasser

Post by Wasser » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:06 pm

Is this video still available anywhere?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:37 pm

No my videos are no longer available but I can explain this. Just use your master bus limiter included in the master strip. By raising your limiter the level of your mix goes up without affecting the level of the individual tracks. As you start to raise the track levels with plugins and eq just lower the limiter to balance. This allows you to track and mix with louder levels without pushing the track levels into the red or mixing too hot. Once the mix is done you can remove the limiter or use it in your final master. Cheers and good luck.

Wasser

Post by Wasser » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Thank you, that’s a good tip!