Soft Drummer

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

PeterDoubt

Soft Drummer

Post by PeterDoubt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Does any one here use this app or one of the others? There are no instructions and I can't figure out how to use it with Auria Pro, let alone building songs within the app, etc.
Is there a section in the Auria manual that covers importing drums?

If someone can point me to some general info, I'm sure I can figure it out. Searches haven't helped me or I wouldn't ask. Thanks.

PeterDoubt

Re: Soft Drummer

Post by PeterDoubt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Okay - I was getting confused trying to figure both things out at the same time. I can get drum sounds into Auria Pro's inserts channel strip. I can record whatever drum settings that are cued up in Soft Drummer which starts at the same time as I hit record. I can record on an audio or midi track. Advantages of each?

As far as the app, the settings are different between the home page (live?) and the song mode page. I got a nice pattern on the former with fills when I wanted them, but I can't recreate it on the song page. The bars and fill buttons seem to do different things.

I suppose I'll figure this out by trial and error but there sure are quicker ways...
I've had some health issues and am just getting back to recording. It seems that in the past year or so that there is less action on the iOS recording front. Am I mistaken?
I hope so. I love Auria...

joe12stories
Expert

Post by joe12stories » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:21 am

With you on 2 fronts: recovering from a back injury so spending a lot of time recording, and secondly, absolutely love SoftDrummer. Check out my 3 samples on 12stories.com.

So - the good and bad about SoftDrummer:

The good:
In a nutshell, the funnest and best sounding drum emulator in iOS I've heard. The "jam" feature has the most realistic human feel, but as you noticed, it never plays the same fill twice (which is good and bad).
The bad:
(1) Kludgy to get the sound into Auria (as you discovered)
(2) You can't put crashes in the middle of a measure (but there is a workaround - record a separate crash track, then manually copy and paste a crash wherever you want one, but remember to take this into account on the main drum track so that you don't have a crash at the same time you're doing 16th hihat notes, for example. i.e., leave "space" in the drummer for a crash)
(3) no copy and paste feature for copying whole verses or choruses at a time (maybe a future update).

So what I do to work around the shortcomings is, as I mentioned, have a separate crash track, and I'll record 3 or 4 takes of the song and then just pick the fills I like.

Luis Martinez, the guy who wrote all of these, is very responsive (he's on Facebook under "Lumbeat"). All of his drum machines are the same concept but for different genres, and they're all great!

PeterDoubt

Post by PeterDoubt » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:38 pm

joe12stories wrote:With you on 2 fronts: recovering from a back injury so spending a lot of time recording, and secondly, absolutely love SoftDrummer. Check out my 3 samples on 12stories.com.

So - the good and bad about SoftDrummer:

The good:
In a nutshell, the funnest and best sounding drum emulator in iOS I've heard. The "jam" feature has the most realistic human feel, but as you noticed, it never plays the same fill twice (which is good and bad).
The bad:
(1) Kludgy to get the sound into Auria (as you discovered)
(2) You can't put crashes in the middle of a measure (but there is a workaround - record a separate crash track, then manually copy and paste a crash wherever you want one, but remember to take this into account on the main drum track so that you don't have a crash at the same time you're doing 16th hihat notes, for example. i.e., leave "space" in the drummer for a crash)
(3) no copy and paste feature for copying whole verses or choruses at a time (maybe a future update).

So what I do to work around the shortcomings is, as I mentioned, have a separate crash track, and I'll record 3 or 4 takes of the song and then just pick the fills I like.

Luis Martinez, the guy who wrote all of these, is very responsive (he's on Facebook under "Lumbeat"). All of his drum machines are the same concept but for different genres, and they're all great!

Thanks for the input, Joe. I really appreciate it.
Getting the drums into Auria isn't all that difficult, but getting it the way you want it is more 'kludgy'. (I used that word a lot when we bought our cabin last year : ) ). I thought the song mode was for building verses and choruses, but it doesn't work very well - it needs to work with the live mode more. I emailed Luis and he pointed me to a demo YouTube video, but it wasn't a tutorial and there was no midi info. I got some rough recording done and hope I'll figure more out. Mr. Alvie's has some valuable stuff on 'tube and is a great example of what can be done.

I'll try your crash method - that'll take some tight editing. Good thing I'm not using tape and a razorblade, though I was pretty good with that back in the day ; )