New User Review

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

CRad

New User Review

Post by CRad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Hello everyone

I just stared using Auria on the iPad Pro 9.7 and I'm really pleased by all the features. I use mainly Logic Pro X and it's a great intro to making music and engineering on a mobile device. I was curious to see if I could attempt full blown professional mixes with it and I'm happy to report that with the right interface and combination of iOS tools and analog gear it's possible. However there are many things about iOS that can restrict workflow on larger sessions. My clients send me large files through Dropbox or Google Drive and there was no easy way to import a zip into Auria. I had to use a combination of apps. There's also no easy way to import files from a drive if you're using a lightning audio interface unless you're using a wireless flash drive. After many attempts and crashes I was able to load up a 28 stereo track mix and was able to get some work done without breaking a sweat on the CPU. It took me a very long time to do this because there isn't an easy way to import files unless your audio files are loaded directly to your internal drive or from Dropbox. I wish importing had as many built in options as exporting. Also, workflow in a session on large scale projects can be a pain because there is no way to extend the iPad workarea with an external display. Another feature I wish Auria had was a way to do a split window view of the mix and edit screens simultaneously. I also wish there were more plug in options. I use many of Fabfilter products on the desktop but there are loads of other plugins I wish I could have access to. I also wish Auria had a built in or 3rd party spectrum analyzer. Other than the shortcomings I mentioned, I am pleased and surprised at what i am able to accomplish with Auria.

Tovokas
Expert

Re: New User Review

Post by Tovokas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:07 am

Welcome!

For moving large number of files to start a session, iFunbox is essential: It's a free app that allows you to connect to your iPad from your desktop through the lightning cable (directly into the Auria file sandbox), and then create folders, copy files, etc. It's a huge headache/time saver for big file moves.

And yes, iOS imposes many limitations, but it is amazing what you can accomplish in Auria!