Help please explain meters for a newbie

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Cookie81
Expert

Help please explain meters for a newbie

Post by Cookie81 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi all, I have been messing a round with auria for a while now and am happy with some of the results I am getting for a newbie, however I am one of those people that likes to know how and why things do what they do. I have noticed on some of my recordings that in the mix window some of the tracks the meters appear to only work one side. Ie some of the green track meters are thicker than others?? I thought maybe that this was to do with stereo tracks and mono tracks however the tracks are this doesn't seem to be the case! Could someone please shed some light on this as I'm sure it's a simple answer but it's driving me crazy!!! :roll:
Thanks in advance

rickwaugh
Expert

Re: Help please explain meters for a newbie

Post by rickwaugh » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:27 pm

Tough to know what your looking at, but yes, a single line would mean the track is in mono.

King
Expert

Post by King » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Also, possibly your source material is mono.

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

Cookie81
Expert

Post by Cookie81 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks guys. That's what I would have thought! However I've recorded the guitar in mono yet I get the thick green meter line. Maybe I'm missing something, but when I look at the edit window anything in stereo you get two lines of audio and one in mono, yet the other tracks that have the thick green meter line in mix view only have one line of audio in edit view and they were definitely recorded in mono!! :| :?

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 pm

I have an idea, but If you could post any screenshots that would be useful.

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

Cookie81
Expert

Post by Cookie81 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Quick update I have just been back on auria exploring it further and have noticed that when I change the settings on the mixer to post fader the main vocal track does have the thick green meter and the meter is split( there are two super are two separate bars that have slightly different peaks) I'm therefore thinking that it may be something to do with the fact that I have applied some compression on the main vocal?? I have duplicated the main vocal and dragged that to a separate track and this again appears as a single thinner bar! This hasn't had no additional compression added as I believe it will carry any changes or compression through to the new track from the original! The others must be showing the thick meter as they have not been compressed yet!! Does that sound like a reasonable explanation??? Thanks for your hep so far! As I've said earlier I'm only just getting into trying to produce something that I can use as demos so it is a steep learning curve for me :wink:

Rusko
Expert

Post by Rusko » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Hey Cookie--

I edited this a bit from another post of mine. This should explain it:

-Next to the fader, a stereo track has dual ("thick") amplitude scales; a mono, single ("thin").

-Above the faders, a stereo track has the interlocking circles icon. A mono track shows no icon.

Now, here's a cool thing: If you have a mono track with a stereo insert effect *enabled* on it, while the icon area remains blank, Auria now shows dual amp scales. Bypass the effect, and it toggles back to single again.

Nick

Cookie81
Expert

Post by Cookie81 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks Nick ! That's what's happening then!!
Thanks again