Plugin/EQ advice and recording levels...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jmaxwell

Plugin/EQ advice and recording levels...

Post by Jmaxwell » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:39 pm

I've recorded the acoustic and vocals for a track using Auria Pro. I made sure all the levels were around the -20db mark. Was this the right thing to do? Because I haven't gotten round to getting the fab filter plugins, I just tried the built in acoustic/vocal presets since I'm not really experienced with eq/compression.

The acoustic preset definitely made a difference, and didn't affect the volume too much. But when I did the vocal preset it increased the vocal into the red and didn't sound very good. Was this because of the compressor and expander being used?

I've read that I could normalise each track, and use the limiter plugin to improve the volume. Is this bad practice? If I do normalise a track and then do a few other things, can the normalise be reversed instead of having to hit the undo button?

I'm thinking of trying the ds plugin and pro q as well, but I find deciding what hz to cut confusing. Is there any chart or guide on the frequencies I should be targeting for specific types of signals?

As it stands, everything is quiet and turning up the faders only improves it slightly.

richardyot
Expert

Re: Plugin/EQ advice and recording levels...

Post by richardyot » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:27 am

Recording quietly is the best approach with digital, so by aiming for -20db you did the right thing because this ensures you introduce minimum noise from your pre-amps and mics. Once you have acquired the audio you can then increase the gain digitally, by using the Gain function in the Process menu.

It also sounds like you need to add a limiter to the Master Bus, there are two that ship with the default installation of Auria, one on the PSP Master Strip and an additional brick wall limiter just to the right of it.

If you see clipping on any channel other than the master channel it's OK, because there shouldn't be any distortion. Only the Master Bus will distort if the fader goes into the red, so apply a limiter to it.