Mixdown/CPU Frustrations

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Asensory

Mixdown/CPU Frustrations

Post by Asensory » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:24 pm

Greetings,

I recently added the iSymphonic Orchestra app to my iPad music arsenal. Unfortunately my enthusiasm hand as been curtailed by baffling behavior of Auria Pro when attempting to mix down my tracks. What Is happening is that portions of the track will drop out when I do a Mixdown or Bounce in Place. Literally, stuff I played into the track is cut off, or missing altogether.

When mixing I set it to 16 bits, and have tried numerous other settings. The results are all bad. The same is true if I just try to render the track using Bounc in Place. This is FRUSTRATING, is the iPad too much of a toy to do this kind of thing? I am talking about 4-5 tracks at one time...

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Mixdown/CPU Frustrations

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:00 am

I use these features daily and I have had no problems especially the ones you describe here nor have I seen this as a regular issue on the forum. We'll probalbly need more info from you about your set up and the iPad and oS systems and Ver# including tests you've taken outside this project or using other apps to better determine the problem. I regularly bounce in place and mixdown with no audio loss. No the iPad is not a toy unless your playing games. I suggest rebooting your iPad or reinstall AuriaPro. Good luck.
Here is a pic of my iPad A.I.R.Studio and its no toy although it's filled with toys. Cheers
Attachments
IMG_1188.JPG

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:41 am

Asensory wrote:Greetings,

I recently added the iSymphonic Orchestra app to my iPad music arsenal. Unfortunately my enthusiasm hand as been curtailed by baffling behavior of Auria Pro when attempting to mix down my tracks. What Is happening is that portions of the track will drop out when I do a Mixdown or Bounce in Place. Literally, stuff I played into the track is cut off, or missing altogether.

When mixing I set it to 16 bits, and have tried numerous other settings. The results are all bad. The same is true if I just try to render the track using Bounc in Place. This is FRUSTRATING, is the iPad too much of a toy to do this kind of thing? I am talking about 4-5 tracks at one time...
i've recorded and bounced my ep... i didn't had any kink of problem... never...
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:35 am

this has nothing to do with the ipad not being a useable professional tool, that a strange conclusion to jump to when it's obviously a bug with either iSymphonic Orchestra app or the IAA protocol implemented in Auria.

Have you tried using audiobus instead of IAA? I think it'll mixdown correctly if you try. Also, you might go to the crudebyte website and report the issues your having so they can look at it their end incase it is an issue with that app.

Asensory

Post by Asensory » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:00 pm

I have used Audio Bus as the obvious work-around to the problem. I have also exited all apps, then restarted Auria Pro and tried again, lastly, I restarted the iPad itself and continued to experience the problem. I suspect it is not entirely (or at all) Auria's fault, as iSymphonic Orchestra is the newest app and the one giving me issues with bouncing and mixing within Auria.

I did think someone here might have had the same thing happen, but so far it doesn't seem so. That's good news in general, as it means the iPad is capable of the task at hand. The reason why I questioned the iPad's ability is that I received multiple CPU overload messages while working with iSO. The only other app in the track so far is Lyra, which runs pretty well in my experience.

Some more specifics:
iPad- iPad Pro running iOS 10.1.1
Auria Pro Version 2.08
Buffer size set to 512
CoreAudio mode- Standard
Device Linking - off
iSymphonic Orchestra - TBD, just purchased so it is the latest version

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:11 pm

If you render the Lyra track and then change the buffer to 4096 you'll get a massive CPU boost which will eliminate all the CPU warning messages.

Lyra is CPU heavy in general and the MIDI tracks force the buffer to 512 max. I suspect iSymphonic requires a lot of CPU and ram to play nicely with Auria.

Asensory

Post by Asensory » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:24 pm

OK, thanks for the advice, I'll try that. Actually at this time I just mixed the whole thing to AudioShare via Audio Bus, then Audio Copied it back to a new Auria session. Its not the best way to go but when CPU gets scarce it is my best option. But, I will take note regarding Lyra and other apps' CPU usage and getting the buffer size back up to max.

I also emailed Crudebyte to see what they recommend, haven't heard back yet but probably will by tomorrow.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:13 pm

This is a pretty typical issue with using mixdown with third party apps. The problem stems from the fact that Auria mixes down faster than realtime. Some IAA apps don't expect this and will produce dropouts. Especially apps that do any disk streaming (not sure if that particular app does). The only reliable workaround is not to use mixdown when working with these apps, but instead record the audio in real time by recording the stereo bus onto another track.

Other functions in Auria which will have trouble similar to mixdown are track freezing and bouncing. These also work faster than real-time. If plugins aren't prepared to work faster than real time, they will cause issues. Auria's own plugins don't have this problem, because Auria lets them know to enter a special mode so they can work faster than realtime.

Rim

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Post by stromberg-carlson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Rim,

thank you for this little bit of info on your app. i admit i dont use the ipad much in my day to day productions but if i am in a position to need to mix down and keep things all in one, i know your app can do it.

to the OP,

thank you for the heads up on the symphony app! justy grabbed it!

Asensory

Post by Asensory » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Thanks Rim for the answer, and everyone else for chiming in,

The message I got back from Crudebyte was that Auria's AU support is new, perhaps there are some unknown issues, and that they will look for anything on their end that might be there. Not a surprising answer. Perhaps I will relay the info regarding mixdown and freezing in faster-than-real time within Auria, it could be useful to them if they're not already aware. I know that other apps/DAWs I have used also have that capability, such as Reaper and Digital Performer, so its something any designer should handle.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:48 am

FYI, in AU, there's a way for a host to let the plugin know it's going to be running faster than real time (and Auria does this), but there's nothing like this in IAA. Of course, it's up to every plugin developer to use this info in their plugins...

Rim

TomD
Expert

Post by TomD » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is still an issue at least I keep running into with crudebyte apps in Auria. Mainly midi mix down to audio. Has there been any progress getting this resolved or any plans to? Is sending the midi to a bus and recording in real time inside Auria still the best work around? Not sure if this is specific to crudebyte plugins, but those are the ones I use most and notice the problem with. Maybe the folks at crudebyte just need a friendly reminder about this? :wink:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:46 pm

They know about the problem and are working to fix it in an upcoming release. Apparently it's an iOS issue which they got Apple to partially fix.

Rim

TomD
Expert

Post by TomD » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 pm

That’s great! Thanks for the update!