P Chg and CC's not rec'd by ext midi devices - pics attached

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dustandbarley

P Chg and CC's not rec'd by ext midi devices - pics attached

Post by dustandbarley » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:47 am

Hello Folks,
Apologies for the newbie question, but I seem unable to receive midi CC messages sent from Auria to external midi devices.

I have an iPad air 1 and I'd like to use this with Auria Pro live to avoid having to take out a laptop running logic.
The iPad is linked to a Behringer x18r via usb using the camera connection kit, and then a looper (boss rc505) is connected from the x18r with a midi cable.
I have a project that runs a couple of tracks of audio and would like to use a track to send midi messages to my Behriner x18r then on to a looper to sample and replay parts of the live performance.

This all runs perfectly using logic, and I'm nearly there in Auria, apart from the midi track. Here are some screen shots:-
Audio tracks with midi at the bottom one

Midi page showing cc info (in this case cc2). This is supposed to be triggering the looper.

Midi Settings

Output Matrix

If I unplug the usb lead from the camera connection kit, and straight into my mac with logic, everything works. The track was put together in logic and individual tracks were exported into Auria via iTunes.

I note that in the Midi "piano" page that I am unable to get any program change / cc information to appear in the box under the name. I am aware of this thread
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14502
and have tried adding additional tracks and changing the midi channel (1 - 16) without any change*. Any ideas what I'm missing.
Many thanks

**UPDATE - sorry i CAN see the program / cc info now after adding extra tracks - so just the main topic unresolved - can't receive cc and p change data on external devices. Thanks
Last edited by dustandbarley on Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
iPad Air 1
x18r

dustandbarley

Re: P Chg and CC not received by ext midi devices - big pics

Post by dustandbarley » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:11 am

Anyone?
Please let me know if what I've written isn't making sense, or if what I'm trying to do is beyond Auria's capability (..can't be true) or isn't in Auria's design spec?
Many thanks
iPad Air 1
x18r

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: P Chg and CC's not rec'd by ext midi devices - pics atta

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:54 am

The output matrix is used for directing an audio track to the desired hardware audio output and has nothing to do with midi information just where the audio of that midi track will be outputed so you hear that audio out that output. Your settings of your midi interface in the global midi settings page is correct. What I did notice is that you didn't show your midi settings in the midi track itself. You need to tap the FX button of that channel and set the midi output to send to the midi device you are trying to send the data to. So the problem may be that your not directing the midi of that track to the proper place. You also need to be sure that your receiving device is set to respond to midi cc#2 to make that change. I assume your trying to trigger the looper from AuriaPro. Is midi cc#2 the cc# that triggers the Boss looper? A good way to check is to record the cc# into a midi track by triggering the looper itself and AuriaPro will record any cc information sent to AuriaPro. Then scroll down the dropdown menu in the piano roll editor to see the cc information. There you can find the cc# that was transmitted by the looper and you can edit the cc data or insert your own. CC data that gets recorded always transmits back out. Good luck and get back to me with your progress. Cheers

dustandbarley

Post by dustandbarley » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:10 am

Hello Anthony,
Many thanks indeed fella, accessing and setting the midi routing information for the track via the FX button is exactly what I was missing.
I am very much indebted to you for your time and your clear explanation - Fabulous!!
The looper I am using has the facility to assign whatever cc# I like to its various functions, so the values have already been set in logic - just a simple case of transferring the tracks to AuriaPro.

Problem Solved.

Thanks again
Justin
iPad Air 1
x18r

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:34 am

dustandbarley wrote:Hello Anthony,
Many thanks indeed fella, accessing and setting the midi routing information for the track via the FX button is exactly what I was missing.
I am very much indebted to you for your time and your clear explanation - Fabulous!!
The looper I am using has the facility to assign whatever cc# I like to its various functions, so the values have already been set in logic - just a simple case of transferring the tracks to AuriaPro.

Problem Solved.

Thanks again
Justin
Not a problem. Enjoy your performances and AuriaPro. Cheers. ~~_/)~~~*

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:21 pm

that midi page in out select produces EASY midi loops so recording source needs out source set to none while playing the recorded track (later) now needs to swap none on input
of course loop trouble depends on IAA settings inserts (any where ) that have or not a midi thru left ON to same "midi virtual input/output"
tip :
using external USB mixer, to save possible AUDIO loop uneeding any audio return to monitor the recorded track ( from wrong settings at audiobus and rec monitor) i use to SHUT matrix out sub in 1 ( named MUTE) so recording ANY audio track routed to sub mute avoids any confusion , easy to reset back to master at playback

second tip: on USB mixer : get the OUTPUT usb mixer track Set To PREFADER
MIXER track fader works since now ONLY for its monitoring (independant of record)
use AURIA (each)track record switch ( HOLD IT) to set attenuation of recording input track:set as needed to save from distorsion that NONE fader is going to prevent (only usb mixer track input attenuator can do: forgotten by most users -not being Pro- who rely only on useless faders on recording content !!) pity Auria doesn't show easy that precious setting !!!

dustandbarley

Post by dustandbarley » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:06 am

Hello mididrim, thanks for your detailed contribution, and tips on setup - terrific. I needed a "setup and leave" configuration for live work as I'm a bassist which keeps me occupied during the performance. At present the AuriaPro is working in theory, but I now have latency problems which seem too severe to work live and as a quick solution I opted to switch to cubasis. I plan to revisit to AuriaPro in the future for its recording capability.
Many thanks
iPad Air 1
x18r