Using an electronic drum kit with Auria Pro

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Drummonkeyboy

Using an electronic drum kit with Auria Pro

Post by Drummonkeyboy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Hello people. This is my first post here. 

I'm just getting to grips with some new gear and I need some help. I'm a midi newbie. I should get that out of the way first. 

This is my kit and here's what I want to be able to do.

Kit:

Ipad Pro
Roland TD11 KV Electronic Drum kit
Apogee Quartet

What I want to do:

-Record midi drum information into Auria from the TD11 drum kit brain (at the same time as a stereo audio send from the TD11)
-Send the midi back out into my TD11 drum module / brain to get the sound of the drums that I want from the TD11
-Put that back into Auria and be able to amend, edit and process different parts of the kit individually (snare, kick, toms, cymbals) in a mix, as I would be able to with an acoustic kit, recorded with mics (because the sounds from the TD11 are amazing).

Basically, I'd like to end up with seperate audio tracks for all of the seperate drum kit components, using the TD11 sounds. 

I'm not that bothered about using apps for drum modelling (such as Drumagog) as I'm fairly sure they don't match the sensitivity, quality of sample or realness of the roland software in the TD11. I get the impression that with other drum apps that a lighter hit is just quieter but on the TD11, you get the sound of the drum / cymbal changing as it would with an acoustic kit. Basically, it's indistinguishable from a recorded acoustic kit.

I just feel very limited in the mix with just a stereo audio send for the drums. 

Is this possible? 

Thanks people for your help.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Using an electronic drum kit with Auria Pro

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:25 pm

Here you would use the usb port of your TD11 to transmit midi to and from Auria Pro. I did not see the ability to set each pad of the TD11 to a different midi channel. If this is the case you will need to record all the midi notes onto the same midi track using a global midi number which is usually ch10 for drums but you can use any midi number from 1-16. If you can set a seperate midi ch for each of the pads then simply create a midi track for each pad with a midi number that corresponds to the midi transmit number of that pad. Ie. Snare midi number 1, kick midi number 2...ect. You can however change the midi note transmitted for each of the pads. All you have to do is record your midi notes into a midi track of AuriaPro. After the recording create a midi track for each of the pads and copy and paste the midi notes that correspond to each pad onto their own seperate track. Then play back those tracks one at a time by soloing the midi track and it should play the TD11 pad that matches that midi note number through the usb port of the TD11. Create an audio track in AuriaPro and record the audio of the drum part from the audio output of your TD11 back into AuriaPro. When completed you should have a midi track for each of the pads and an audio track for each of the pads. Although the TD11's usb port also transmits audio to and from your computer, unless it is Core Audio Compliant it will not be seen as an audio input on the iPad so record your drum audio usng the audio outputs of the TD11 module in this case. If it is Core Audio compliant then you will see the TD11 audio input activity in the INPUT MATRIX in the SETTINGS page in Auria Pro. In this case you would not have to use the L/R audio outputs of the TD11 to capture the audio just the USB connection. Cheers and hope that helps.

Drummonkeyboy

Post by Drummonkeyboy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:46 pm

Many thanks. I will try that when I get a mo. Cheers!

Drummonkeyboy

Post by Drummonkeyboy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:22 am

Hi. I'm sorry but I'm struggling with the first step, that is, using the TD11 to record midi information that I can use in any way at all.

I have the drumkit module set to channel 10, the midi port set to channel 10 and the input and output set to Quartet. I don't seem to be able to use the TD11 to trigger samples inside Auria at all. Am I missing something fundamental?

Thanks,
Peter

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:17 am

Private me some screen shots of the midi page and a midi track midi setting and I will investigate for you. Cheers