Crashes when I try to do simultaneous track recordings

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JohnBH

Crashes when I try to do simultaneous track recordings

Post by JohnBH » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:18 am

I seem to have come up against a problem that when I exceed 5 track simultaneous recordings, Auria Pro crashes.
I use a Focusrite 18i8 with a octopre dynamic and am trying to record drums with 9 mics. As a check, I've disconnected the Focusrite and tried recording the tracks using the internal mic and get the same crash. I reduced the number of tracks recording and the tipping point seems to be between five and six tracks.
My hardware is an iPad Pro with iSO 9.3.5, with Auria pro 2.05. I've tried adjusting the Auria settings & increased the buffer size but with no success.

I've successfully recorded the 9 mics previously so not sure why it no longer works and not aware of making any changes.
Any ideas?

Thanks

John

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Crashes when I try to do simultaneous track recordings

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:38 am

Are you sure it's a crash? In other words, does Auria quit and go to the iPad desktop? Or do you just get an error message?

Rim

JohnBH

Post by JohnBH » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:47 am

It's a crash returning to my home screen.
When I return to Auria it comes up with the 'a crash occurred the last time Auria ran' box

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:51 pm

That's not normal. Are you using the latest Auria version (currently 2.05)? You can see your version in the Auria settings page. Does this happen on a new project? I can record 24 tracks at once here with no issues on a fresh project.

Rim

JohnBH

Post by JohnBH » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Just set up a new project with 9 tracks & set off record on all of them using the internal mic and it didn't crash.
Then named each track, kick, snare, toms etc. then set to record all and it crashed when set off.
Have I got the settings wrong?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:44 pm

One question,- Do you have any non English characters in the track names? It's possible there a bug related to International characters.

Rim

JohnBH

Post by JohnBH » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:14 pm

Just renamed the drum tracks for recording 1,2,3 through to 9 and it doesn't crash. The previous names were English characters, but were names such as Ride O/H, for the overhead mic on the ride side of the kit. Do characters such as leaving spaces or using / cause issues?
Will try a recording using 1 to 9 tomorrow to see if I get a recording.

JohnBH

Post by JohnBH » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:24 pm

Just checked any differences in naming tracks from previous projects where simultaneous recordings worked and the only new character is " / ". Is that's what's causing the problem?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:07 pm

Interesting. Are you using an external keyboard, or just the on screen keyboard? Auria should be filtering out illegal characters, but maybe there's a bug related to that I'm not aware of.

Rim

JohnBH

Post by JohnBH » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:08 am

I'm using the screen keyboard. I've also noticed that my first use of / was in the sixth track name which ties into the crash occurring after trying five tracks recording. Great bit of detective work by you. I could have spent many hours looking for solutions before I looked at the track names. I'll redo my drum template with new track names to get round this.
Thanks for your help & quick responses.
John