Auria "Live" as Mainstage Replacement

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

pti

Auria "Live" as Mainstage Replacement

Post by pti » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:28 pm

I want to use something like MainStage live, but want it on my iPad Pro.

I have set up Auria projects that respond to multiple controllers on multiple channels, but there are a few critical features missing.

1) Project selection via MIDI. Auria should be able to listen to a MIDI "control" channel and select a project based on a MIDI program change message, such as from Set List Maker (which I currently use live to change between Studio Sets on my Roland FA-06).

2) Limited MIDI key ranges per track. By setting limited key ranges to which an Auria track will respond, splits and layers could be established on a single-MIDI-channel USB MIDI controllers by setting two Auria tracks to different instruments with different key ranges.

3) Transpose for live MIDI input. There is a Transpose setting in the MIDI CONTROL section, but as far as I can tell, it does not impact live MIDI Input, but rather only impacts playback of recorded MIDI.

4) Reload projects with arm state preserved. I currently have to rearm each track for each controller to be able to play live. Arm state should, at least optionally, be preserved over save and reload of a project.

(Auria does at least have the per-track bank / program change capability that is missing from Cubasis).

Call it A-Stage or Auria Live. Auria will need a Settings UI control for setting the project-selection MIDI interface and control channel, a UI for mapping Auria projects to MIDI program change numbers, UI additions in FX/MIDI Control for setting the active key-ranges, and a Performance UI for showing the splits and key-presses live, much like MainStage does in the stack of rectangles view. However, at that point, Auria becomes a decent synth workstation replacement.

Are any of these features there and I am missing them? Does any other app provide Mainstage-type functionality?

I am posting the same request to Steinberg re: Cubasis. The two apps are both painfully close to being able to do this, yet lack the "MainStage" UI to make it happen.

- Patrick

pti

Re: Auria "Live" as Mainstage Replacement

Post by pti » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:38 am

As a quick follow-up, my short term solution is to drop Auria for live use and use SampleTank instead.

SampleTank allows up to four parts on independent MIDI channels, stores "active" status for each of those parts, and allows loading of presets using MIDI Program Change messages from Set List Maker.

I hope the Auria folks see the opportunity in the market addressed by SampleTank, though. While SampleTank can be an Interapp audio synth, it can't call out to other Interapp audio apps for any of it's four parts. Also, it's a clunky UI, not updated for iPad Pro. It also lacks the key-range support.

For now, though, quick change of patches from Set List Maker during shows is the feature I can't live without, so SampleTank gets the nod over Auria and Cubasis.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:05 am

With no disrespect to your ideas for a iOS Mainstage replacement, please be aware Rim is an army of one. Apple obviously had the resources to dedicate a team to year or so of work to create Mainstage, but I believe Rim has placed all his focus on a great recording platform and judging by the updates and frequent responses to user issues I believe his time is quite full.

May I suggest having a look at AUM? It may not fit your requests exactly, but it can probably meet most of them.

Best of luck!

pti

Post by pti » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks for the AUM suggestion. I will take a look.

Also, oddly enough, I just realized the Korg M1 app is another contender, though the problem there may be the limited variety of dated sounds. It does allow multiple parts to be triggered from the same MIDI input channel for different ranges of keys, and allows some varied processing per part including transposition that works on the live input. (I wish SampleTank would borrow the concept and it would fill the bill.)

Given that what I am trying to emulate is the function of a synth workstation, I guess it's not surprising that the emulator of an old synth workstation sort of does it. I really only bought it on a whim on their 50%-off sale not even thinking of a live use.

pti

Post by pti » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:18 pm

Quick update:

The new release of SampleTank 2.0 now has the key range and transposition functionality I describe above. It already had program change and recall of active part settings, so, it's basically viable for my live use now.

They are definitely heading in the "Mainstage for iPad" direction.