Guitarists - Positive Grid JamUp or Overloud THM?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dickiefunk
Expert

Guitarists - Positive Grid JamUp or Overloud THM?

Post by dickiefunk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:51 am

Hi,

I'm looking to buy one of the guitar amp sims from the Auria Store and am wondering which one to choose? The styles I'll be using it for are Soul, Funk, Rock and Americana. Also, do either of these include a bass amp?

What would you recommend?

supanorton
Expert

Re: Guitarists - Positive Grid JamUp or Overloud THM?

Post by supanorton » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:08 am

THM is very good. No bass amps, but you can dial in pretty sweet bass tones using the heads, cabs, and effects.

I have the stand alone version of JamUp and haven't used it in at least a year. It never really did anything for me, but there are folks who like it.

Positive Grid makes better sounding apps now that you can buy from the App Store and use as IAAs or through AudioBus. Bias Amps and Bias FX are the apps, and they're very good to my ears. You have a ton of options using them together, but the IAPs can be costly.

ToneStack is also very good, but can be expensive when purchasing IAPs as well.

Having said all that, THM Overloud can be used from within Auria, which has a lot of benefits, and it sounds great.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:46 am

THM Overloud for me. Good selection of amps,cabs,mics,mic placement,pedal fx,rack fx and great tones. Best of all it has never let me down as far as function. Plug it in and it just works. I have many guitar apps but this one is the one I count on and find myself going back to everytime. Cheers.

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:53 am

I find I don't need a "bass" amp when using Auria for bass, just the Fab Filter plugins, usually.

Yonac ToneStack is my current favorite for guitar.

I think the "Motherlode" bundle, which includes everything, is on sale ATM.

Best Leslie sim I've tried. Great set of filters. Octavers that track fairly well, Amps sound good to great. Lots of bass stuff.

Works fine w/Auria via IAA.

I made a few patches with no amps, just effects, with things that I haven't found in the native plugins to call from Auria.

I need to figure out how to send a MIDI message to it from Auria to switch patches. Real Soon Now...

danhedonia

Post by danhedonia » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:59 pm

I'm a Positive Grid enthusiast and have most of what they have on offer. JamUp is my least favorite and I never use it (except to loop). Yes, BIAS Fx has 2 bass amps, and BIAS Amps has many more (and if you DIY, infinitely more).

The main point here is that these things are changing ALL the time - this is the time when this stuff is blowing up, and there are exciting new developments every 2-3 months.

Also, Fender has a free Amplitube amp model that's quite good - you should add it to whatever you get.

EssexGooner
Expert

Post by EssexGooner » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:02 am

I've spent a lot of money on these apps and even though Yonac is my preferred choice, it spluttered too much when I tried to use a split setup on an iPad Air 2 so I dropped it.

I'm a bass player and I have now invested in fabfilter plugins including Saturn and Timeless2 which between them do just about anything you want. I don't use any of the other apps now and tend to record clean and then add effects.

Fabfilter plugins are all 25% off at the moment.

maximus

Post by maximus » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Heads up ,

The BIAS stuff is on special offer at the mo until the 31st .

BIAS FX is $9.99 , BIAS amp $4.99, Jam Up Pro $4.99 ...

I grabbed them all plus the pedal and final touch app,s seemed like too much of a bargain to miss.

Anyway my advice would be at least get FX and AMP , jam up isn't worth it although could be useful so that you can use more than one BIAS IAA amp at the same time you can synch any amps from BIAS Amp to use in jam up too .. Pretty impressed with the BIAS stuff so far it's really good.

BTW i'm not affiliated to PG in any shape or form..

Cheers,
Max

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:17 pm

Hello, Rim! Can you relay to the OverloudTHM developers, or give us directions so we do it ourselves, our need of a guitar tuner in the plugin? It's a basic function that is lacking on an otherwise wonderful plug-in. All the best!

dickiefunk
Expert

Post by dickiefunk » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:39 am

theconnactic wrote:Hello, Rim! Can you relay to the OverloudTHM developers, or give us directions so we do it ourselves, our need of a guitar tuner in the plugin? It's a basic function that is lacking on an otherwise wonderful plug-in. All the best!
+1. It would also be great if Overloud added some bass amps and cabs to THM!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:58 am

I suggest you ask them directly: http://www.overloud.com/en/support.html

Thanks,
Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Thank you, Rim!

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:16 pm

P.S.: email sent!

"Hello, Overloud Team!

My name is Dimitri, and this is in fact a feature request. I regularly use Overloud THM as a plug-in in Auria Pro, getting superb results. I can tell that THM is my favourite amp sim on iOS, and the results I get with consistently beat the standalone iOS amp sims I also have installed. Unfortunately, there is one caveat that is no deal breaker, but instead a pity to have: there is no built-in guitar tuner! That means I have to open a standalone tuner or amp sim just to have my guitars and basses in tune. Do you guys have plans to update the Overloud THM with a guitar tuner in the foreseeable future? If yes, can you please share a time frame?

All the best,
Dimitri."

Duke21
Expert

Post by Duke21 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:50 am

I'm a bass player and play guitar sometimes (I've a Squier VI) I've all apps for guitar / bass amp sim. Bias, Bias FX, Jamup, Line6, Amplitube, Ampkit, ToneStack and THM. For bass tone I usually use hardware, I've a Sansamp BDDI and a Sansamp Oxford and an Ampeg SCR DI. I use iOS apps for bass only if I need some FX such as tremolo, chorus....
I find all apps to have their strengths and weaknesses. ToneStack and Line6 have best envelope FX while Ampkit and Bias have the most real sounding amps. ToneStack is probably the most complete app.

Alecirr

Post by Alecirr » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi, I Bought Auria Pro for my IPad Pro and I'm trying to record guitars through apogee one. I downloaded Jamup pro from Apple Store (everything I got is "Pro" but nothing seems to work properly) but it's impossible to use it for more than one guitar.... Can anybody suggest me how to use the jumup plugin for more then one guitar?

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:49 pm

Buy Bias FX. :D