General Recording Advice - Whole 1 hour Gig

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Aeron
Expert

General Recording Advice - Whole 1 hour Gig

Post by Aeron » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:25 am

I plan on doing a Band recording this week end and will be recording 8 tracks simultaneously into Auria. The show is an hour long and I wont be able to get at the ipad during the show so will have to start the recording at the beginning and let it run until the end.

Any one with experience of this approach and what to expect? I am a bit concerned that the audio wont actually get written until I hit stop and then may take a while to get written so is there a strong chance of a crash at this stage resulting in the loss of the whole performance?

I'll be using:
Ipad Air 2 (16gb)
Auria (not pro)
M-audio M-track 8 (not tested this yet)
CCK

If audio isn't written as it records I presume it is held in memory until you hit stop so could that be an issue with the amount of ram available in my Air 2? I will also have about 8gb of storage available at the time.

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by Aeron on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Washboy
Expert

Re: General Recording Advice

Post by Washboy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:45 am

Perform a test run, if possible, then you'll have practical experience before the gig. If the outcome is important to you, it's best not to rely on other folks' testimony alone :wink: Having said that, I know several forum members have recorded multi-channel gigs before so hopefully at least one of them will come forward with some practical advice. Good luck! :)

Aeron
Expert

Post by Aeron » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:49 am

Thanks Washboy. It will be a bit of a test anyway and not a critical issue but obviously its best to be prepared in advance. I suspect I will try and get the set up so that I can stop the recording after every song and allow a save, then restart for the next - but time can be an issue in those circumstances.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:08 am

You're welcome, @Aeron :) BTW, 16/44.1 recordings eat around 5MB disk space per minute per mono track. So, for 8 channels, that's 2.4GB per hour. @Rim (Auria's developer) would need to confirm/deny this but I suspect that Auria records straight to disk and then reads, processes and rewrites when you hit 'Stop'. Therefore you need to allow for at least twice the amount of free space - in your case c.5GB for the gig.

Aeron
Expert

Post by Aeron » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:13 am

Washboy wrote:You're welcome, @Aeron :) BTW, 16/44.1 recordings eat around 5MB disk space per minute per mono track. So, for 8 channels, that's 2.4GB per hour. @Rim (Auria's developer) would need to confirm/deny this but I suspect that Auria records straight to disk and then reads, processes and rewrites when you hit 'Stop'. Therefore you need to allow for at least twice the amount of free space - in your case c.5GB for the gig.

Yes, thanks. I worked it out as 2.4gb and was concerned that with just 2 gb of ram available, if it was not writing as it recorded where exactly was the data? Maybe it will use a combination of ram and disk but we will see if Rim chips-in with the info as I'm only guessing at this stage. Wasn't aware of needing 2x the space on disk though that's very useful to know!