My Best external storage solution so far better than iXpand

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

AuriaStudios
Expert

My Best external storage solution so far better than iXpand

Post by AuriaStudios » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:06 am

I picked up one of these from Fry's yesterday
8826152.01.prod.jpg
PhotoFast 128GB USB 3.0 with Lightning Connector/Cable
8826152.01.prod.jpg (4.83 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
PhotoFast 128GB USB 3.0 with Lightning Connector/Cable

I have both Ipad Pro models big one and small one. With that being said I wanted to be able to transfer My 100 song Music catalog (Stem Tracks) from my computer into either one of my ipads to have access to my catalogs stem tracks. I wanted to be able change things on the fly for the client and not just have a stereo mix of the song. This is why I need and love Auria. I can dump all my stems and it wont take up much CPU in an Auria project.
So I wanted a lighting to usb 3 flash and I didnt like all the lightning sticks that were available because there cheap, plastic, bulky and I didnt want it to pull on my lightning port. I found the Photofast cable/flashdrive at Frys Electronics, was the best way to go for the design and easy of use.

Okay so why I think its the best solution so far. I see many user using the iXpland brand which is what I wanted but didnt want to wait for shipping lol. The good thing about iXpand is the open in or save in feature in its downloadable app which all these flash lightning drives use. With Auria thats only good for Projects, SO WE THOUGHT. Well now with the Photofast drive's app (which I hated in the beginning because I couldnt figure it out lol) doesnt have the open-in and save-in features as easy as one would want like the iXpand app. I had to really find out what I was doing wrong. I found that when you save a project in another app and I pick the app for the flashdrive I couldnt tell were it was storing the project and I wasnt getting any data showing on the usb lightning drive. OKAY, so what the app was doing as Auria imported the project it was saving it in the ipads internal storage space initially. So I had to move the project from In-app storage to the Photofast USB drive. Yes it is an extra step but now when trying to get the project back into Auria I noticed a very important thing, the Photofast app didnt have the option to open into another app. What it had was the option to share any item with any app. So, I shared the zipped project to Auria and BAAAMM it worked flawless.

Now back to why its better than the iXpland and others in my opinion, is this share feature and not open-in. I was able to import stems and wavs and samples directly into Auria's Project section so I can import them into a project. PERFECTO that what I needed. Put all my stems on the Photofast flashdrive from the computer then import them into Auria. I haven't tried out the Lyra soundfonts yet, I will and let you know.

mdarby
Expert

Re: My Best external storage solution so far better than iXp

Post by mdarby » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Thanks for the detailed summary of this product.

Would you still prefer the Gigastone PhotoFast is you simply wanted to move Auria projects back and forth between external storage, in order to minimize the overall size of Auria? I don't have your specific need about stems.

AuriaStudios
Expert

Post by AuriaStudios » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Yes i would because of the form factor. Its made very well metal tips thick wire and it wont mess up your lighting port if it gets bumped. Transferring file like Project is a breeze once you learn there app. Ont Con to me is i can find a third party app that makes it easier for me to accomplish my goal.

stanbrubaker

Post by stanbrubaker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:40 am

Wow, I wish I had your smarts with this stuff. Last evening I got my new 64GB Photofast cable, and I spent hours again this morning trying to figure things out. All I want to do is grab movies I shot from the Video Folder in my iPhone 6, copy them into the PhotoFast memory, and then somehow get one into my large iPad Pro, and into Auria Pro, so I can sync it with my sound tracks. I printed out what you wrote, highlighted, underlined, circled, studied it, and still can't get it to work, even after copying my movie file from in-app storage to external storage. Does it have to be a zipped project file, instead of a simple single file? I've tried rebooting Auria Pro, and my iPad, after plugging in the Photofast cable, and anything else I can think of, and just can't figure out how to do it.

stanbrubaker

Post by stanbrubaker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:03 am

Got it! On a hunch, thinking again about what you wrote, I went into external storage in PhotoFast, changed my single video file to a ZIP folder [seems like that shouldn't be necessary], THEN shared it to Audio Pro when its beautiful icon appeared in the top row of choices. I am SO a tickled to finally have a way to shoot VIDEO on my iPHONE 6, simultaneous with RECORDING on my large iPAD PRO, then getting the video file (after first trimming its ends in my iPhone, in iMovie) into the iPad WITHOUT wasting so much of my time and wifi bandwidth slowly rolling it through iTunes or Dropbox. Thanks again for your posts.

stanbrubaker

Post by stanbrubaker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:32 pm

I guess I'll go ahead with this new post, since you've helped me greatly, and I can now EASILY video IN to Auria Pro without using Dropbox and bandwidth. HOWEVER... :< I still can't export an AuriaPro project-- WITH THE VIDEO INCLUDED-- into my PhotoFast cable. What am I missing. When I do an 'Export Video' mixdown to "OFF" I can't find the file-- I suppose it's in an Auria Pro folder somewhere, but I sure don't know how to access it. If I mixdown to AudioShare it seems to export ONLY an audio file to PhotoFast. And the other three choices-- DropBox, SoundCloud, and email-- use wifi, which I'm trying to avoid. Any other ideas? How can I get the mixdown WITH VIDEO into my PhotoFast cable, so I can USB it to my desktop, without messing around with clouds and wifi?