IAA recording

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Epiguitarist

IAA recording

Post by Epiguitarist » Tue May 31, 2016 3:38 pm

Hello all, I am new to this forum and app. I have limited experience with recording "professionally" and mostly did so with a zoom portable recorder and with GarageBand, both on my I phone and iPad. I have figured out how to lay a track down but realized that I can only use 1 IAA per track during play back and overdubs. How can I keep my tone and record multiple tracks with the same IAA? I am using jam up by the way. Any help would be immensely appreciated, thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: IAA recording

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:17 pm

iOS only supports one IAA instance at a time. Auria gets around this by offering its own native plugins. Auria plugins don't have any restriction on the number of instances (only limited by your CPU power).

RIm

EssexGooner
Expert

Post by EssexGooner » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:02 am

I went through the same thing with IAAs and eventually took the plunge with Fabfilters. While not cheap compared to other IAAs, they are worth every penny. I bought Pro-Q2, Pro-G, Pro-C2 and Saturn and they are fantastic. To get the best out of them they also force you into really learning about mixing rather than playing around with a low cost alternative. The end result is exceptional. When you see how much the desktop version of these plug-ins are, you will appreciate the quality and the value of them on the iPad.

I've removed all the other IAAs off my iPad now as I just don't need them.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:54 am

Welcome Epiguitar!

Sounds like you are wanting to do is have multiple guitar tracks each with their own processing in jam-up. What you have found is that Auria is recording a "clean" direct track of your guitar (no fx) and that signal is still passing through jam-up giving your your desired tone.

In the world of professional daws, this is the right thing. It's generally a preferred approach to keep the recorded performance clean and keep fx as a post process to allow for the most tonal options later in the mixing stage. However, as you have discovered, IAA/iOS cannot allow for multiple instances.

In terms of getting what you want using an iOS daw, you need to "print" the guitar+jam-up sound to a track. There are basically two ways to do this ; "destructively" - where the recorded sound is as you heard it with fx, or "non destructively" where future tone editing would be possible (and due to the IAA limitations this takes a bit more work).
And with all respect to you, it sounds like you may be new to recording. Recording is a technical craft that's been around since Edison's wire recorder and Auria is in league with the pro daws that are the result of all the developments since. As opposed to GarageBand, where it's made as simple as possible (which means fewer options), Auria has the tools you need but it takes some time to learn all this! My two cents - keep things simple for a few projects; don't try to start recording your masterworks album on day one, just sketches for it, and as you use Auria the right work flow will develope as your skill and confidence grows.

That said, I'd recommend going the destructive route to start. Just record your guitar with fx, and move on!
-create your project, add the 1st guitar track, open the channel strip and load jam-up
-go back to the mixer screen, and long press on the record enable button. Select "record with fx"
-record your track
-go back to the track screen. Add a new stereo track. Long press and drag your just recorded (with fx) clip into the new track. (Be sure to move it vertically to keep in time)
-setup your next patch in jam-up, record it, move it, repeat.
That should get you going with actually having something laid down you can work with.

The non destructive route adds several steps to this process.
-record normally as you have been.
-solo the just recorded track, and create a mix down, with the option checked to import new track.
-move the "clean" clip to a new stereo track, and mute it.
-rinse, wash repeat
There's alot more in this process with keeping track of what was where, but it's possible to reprocess the clean clips later if they don't fit in the mix. Again, I'd start simply and work your way up to this as your skills develope.
Hope this helps and best of luck!

Epiguitarist

Post by Epiguitarist » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:59 pm

Thank you everyone for your input and welcome. I look forward to getting to know this daw intimately. I also look forward to getting to know you all. You all seem to know your stuff! :D :D :D :D