Recording electronic drums

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

strhessed

Re: Recording electronic drums

Post by strhessed » Tue May 31, 2016 9:31 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:You will have to record the midi notes of your drum kit then if your Alesis has midi input you can send the midi data to your Alesis module and output the audio one track at a time through the audio interface. Simply mute the parts that you don't want to send and record the one that you do send. Ex. I record the entire midi drum part to one midi track in Auria Pro. Then take the midi cable out of your midi interface back into your Alesis drum module. Then in the Alesis drum module turn down the level of every drum piece except say the kick drum. Now take an audio output of the Alesis into your audio interface and create a mono track called KICK. Hit play in Auria Pro and the midi track will send the midi data to the Alesis drum module and the drum module will output the kick which you have isolated through muting the other parts into the audio interface and recorded onto the newly created mono audio track. Once you have recorded all the drum parts into their own audio track you now have all the drum parts in Auria Pro as audio files. don't forget to do all your midi editing before you commit to this process. Also don't delete the original midi track in case you need to go back and edit the midi some more.Remember that this only will work if your Alesis drum module has midi input. Some drum controllers don't like my Roland TD4 kit which means I can't do this and I often wish I could. My way around this is to record my drums directly as a mono audio track ,then I manually separate all the audio parts from the track and use the audio quantize feature in Auria Pro to correct timing issues or I manually snap the drum sound to the grid. This is very tedious and laborious so I often only do a pattern or two to make the job smaller. So I literally split every drum hit and then put that hit on a separate mono audio track. Cheers and hope this helps.
I appreciate you typing out all this, however, I feel like if I even tried to do things like that, it would suck all the joy right out of making music :) I may end up just trying to adjust all my levels and then record the drums all onto a stereo track.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:40 am

I only wish that I could have been more help and that there was an easier way to do it but unfortunately there isn't . Good luck with your tunes. Cheers.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:06 pm

It may not have fitted in for you, Strhessed, and I agree that if the recording process takes away from the performance, it's not right for you.

I'm going to give it a go, though, so thanks for the detail, Anthony. I've had decent results tracking drums on GarageBand, but the sounds are limited. SampleTank may give you more scope for different sounds, but doesn't allow you to control individual levels easily (so far as I can see) and I've not got along with it at all.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

strhessed

Post by strhessed » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:31 pm

Its too bad there isn't a feature where you could import your own sounds into Auria Pro and then use them with a MIDI controller. Or is there?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Auria Pro has a powerful sample player (Lyra), and you can definitely use your own sounds. But you'd need to create an SFZ, EXS or SF2 file first, as Lyra reads those formats.

Rim