Am I missing something?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

almsfurr
Expert

Am I missing something?

Post by almsfurr » Sun May 15, 2016 11:22 am

Hi

I've just installed Auria on my iPad pro (9.3.1). Really impressed with it (largely), very comprehensive ...that is, apart from the CPU Overload thing. I really expected to be able to get more tracks out of Auria before CPU overload. I am running 4 tracks with an aux reverb:

Lyra drums
2 tracks of fabfilter
An audio track

I have set the buffer to 512 and although the average cpu is about 15%, it maxes out and triggers the CPU overload prompt. Please tell me this is a bug and not what I should come to expect from my new set up???

mtingle
Expert

Re: Am I missing something?

Post by mtingle » Mon May 16, 2016 10:52 am

might be worth checking that there are no apps working in the background (including phantom apps), turning off wi-fi and turning on airplane mode.

Re-booting ipad may clear any stuck IAA's causing CPU issues.

almsfurr
Expert

Post by almsfurr » Mon May 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The only other app I have other than stock apps is a config app for my interface. I can replicate the issue despite restarts and closing other apps (double clicking main button and swiping up). I also created a fresh new project and still get the issue despite the demo project (30+ tracks) running perfectly. Is there some setting somewhere other than buffer that might be causing this?

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon May 16, 2016 4:33 pm

your best bet is to get the attention of Rim the developer and then send him the project with the repeatable steps and see if he can identify a problem. He's usually pretty responsive on forums.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue May 17, 2016 5:38 am

Fabfilter Twin 2 can use a lot of CPU, depending on the preset or settings. That might be what's causing your problem.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue May 17, 2016 7:30 am

It's not too difficult to overload your CPU with a pro app like Auria. Keep in mind that many of the plugins available are equivalent to the desktop versions, so plugins from Fabfilter or PSP are capable of using a lot of CPU in certain modes.

There are several things you can do to minimize CPU usage. The largest factor is your audio buffer size. If you really want low CPU, set your buffer size to 4096. Small buffer sizes like 512 or 256 use a tremendous amount of CPU (especially for plugins), so the larger the better. However iOS won't allow you to set the buffer size larger than 512 if you're using MIDI, so make sure there are no MIDI tracks in the project if you need to set the buffer to 4096.

Rim

almsfurr
Expert

Post by almsfurr » Tue May 17, 2016 9:00 am

Not what I was hoping to hear. Still, I've got a few more days to return the iPad. Looks like its an macbook air then.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue May 17, 2016 10:16 am

There are lots of folks getting way more tracks than that. Bouncing to audio, and freezing tracks, is a way of life in the iPad. You'll also find that depending on what settings you're using in the plugins, it can make a huge difference.

But no question, it's a more restrictive environment. On the other hand, for the cost of Auria, and the Fabfilter L, Q and C, (Limiter, EQ and Compressor,) you can possibly purchase the Limiter on the MacBook.

almsfurr
Expert

Post by almsfurr » Tue May 17, 2016 10:34 am

Is it normal for the CPU meter to be pulsing between 12 and 20℅ when playback is stopped?

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed May 18, 2016 2:51 am

almsfurr wrote:Is it normal for the CPU meter to be pulsing between 12 and 20℅ when playback is stopped?
If you have some plugins or synths loaded then yes.

For what it's worth at the mix stage of my projects I can usually run 25 or more fabfilter plugins without freezing or bouncing tracks, but that's with the latency set to 4096. When I'm recording I like to have the latency set to 128, which means I have to hold off adding plugins to tracks until all the recording is done. If you have MIDI tracks in your project they will need to be frozen in order to increase the latency higher than 512.

Some plugins can use a lot more CPU than others, for example Twin2, or Pro-MB, and Saturn if it's set to HQ mode.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed May 18, 2016 3:29 am

almsfurr wrote:Not what I was hoping to hear. Still, I've got a few more days to return the iPad. Looks like its an macbook air then.
This issue is will MIDI IMO. Once I get rid of all the midi tracks I can run tons of plugins on my ipad pro, its as good as a laptop. And for that reason I don't use MIDI anymore, which is a shame as it would be very useful.

almsfurr
Expert

Post by almsfurr » Wed May 18, 2016 4:08 am

Hi thanks for the suggestions. From playing around it, it seem that Lyra has very minimal impact and that the fabfilter synth is the main culprit as you've all suggested. In fact I can added many Lyra instances with the buffer at 128 and not get the CPU warning - I got to ten tracks of lyra drums going before ending that test thinking I could load many more.

Now my initial shock of cpu overload has gone, and I've properly started to listen to the sound of the fabfilter synths, I can see they are really nice sounding synths. I've never used them before, but I compare them sound-wise to the quality of Diva by U-he, which in Ableton, is also a pretty hungry vst. So I guess you've all put me at ease. if only fabfilter had a low cpu mode.