Syncing up software click & audio click

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dave M

Syncing up software click & audio click

Post by Dave M » Tue May 03, 2016 4:41 am

Hi Guys,

Software click and audio click will not sync.

This is my first Auria pro project that I have needed to do this but....

I tracked the project over a number of platforms before importing it all in through Dropbox.

I recorded an Auria click at 165bpm on to a Yamaha AW1600 and tracked the main of the song.

However, when I tried to align the audio click to the software click (also set at 165bpm) up to the grid, I had to move the audio click almost half a beat earlier than the grid so that the two clicks would play at the same time....
Not a case of drifting throughout the track but the very first click starting at bar 9.

Is this a latency issue?

If so, how do I align to the grid so that the software click matches the audio click and the song is aligned to the grid for sequence style looping.

Many Thanks
Dave

wigglelights
Expert

Re: Syncing up software click & audio click

Post by wigglelights » Tue May 03, 2016 7:27 am

Hi Dave! Welcome to The club!

You didn't mention what interface/how you were getting sound into the iPad from the Yamaha.
Did you send clock from Auria to the Yamaha? Note that Auria can only serve as a master clock, and does not receive it, so the Yamaha would need to be set to slave.

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Tue May 03, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi Wigglelights,

Glad to be here.

I recorded the Auria click on to the Yamaha via the headphone socket of the iPad for about 5 minutes, then tracked guitars and bass to the click.

I exported the wav files from the Yamaha and uploaded them to Dropbox. Then I imported all of the audio files into a new project. I aligned the click to bar 9 beat 1 of the grid. All of the audio regions were moved together during this process and upon playback all sync perfectly to themself.

I noticed that a couple of the sections were not as tight as I would like and attempted to use audio quantise.
But this dragged the audio further away from the recorded click.

So I turned on the software click in Auria Pro.
It was miles away.
So I questioned my alignment..... When I zoomed right in I was a bit off so I corrected it to exactly where it should be.

Played the software click and the audio click together and it was even worse.

So I tried to align it by ear and ended up needing to put the audio nearly half a beat early (project tempo 165 bpm) so that the audios happen at the same time.

This is a problem.

How can I align the track to click and grid and then quantise and know what is right and what is wrong by hearing against a click that is nearly half a beat behind the grid and recorded audio?

I suspect it is a latency issue but is there a way that click can shifted or adjusted forward to compensate.

I hope you see what I mean.

Thanks
Dave

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed May 04, 2016 9:14 am

As Wigglelights suggested, whenever you record from one DAW onto another, you need to use syncing. MIDI clock is the easiest way to do this, however, since you're using an external DAW for your recording, you'd need to use a MIDI cable from your iPad into your Yamaha. The reason syncing is necessary is because the two devices have their own clocks, and will drift over time. A good analogy is typing to use two tape decks to play or record separate tracks. Even if you manage to start them exactly at the same time, they will drift over time, and after a while, they'll go out of sync with each other. And in your case, it's not even possible to get them to start at the same time, since there's no MIDI information telling the Yamaha where beat 1 is, etc.

Rim

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Wed May 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi Rim,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I understand that I would need to sync 2 devices, but everything is in Auria pro.

The tracked audio, the audio click & the software click.

Surely a single audio click aligned perfectly to the grid should sound at exactly the same time as the software project grid click irrespective of how it was generated or recorded

Am I missing something here?

Thanks
Dave

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Wed May 04, 2016 4:33 pm

I think if I'm following your process- and this is a shot in the dark....

You mentioned opening a new project when you imported the files. I'm guessing you did not set the project tempo to 165 BEFORE you imported the waves? THats all I can think of that would have the 165bpm waves out of sync with the Auria grid, if I'm understanding your workflow.
If that ain't it let us know

Dave

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Wed May 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks Dave,

You hit the nail on the head.

I started a new project, set tempo to 165, imported the waves, even added a comp to every channel to be sure.

Absolutely perfect.

Thanks Dave, Thanks Rim, appreciate your time guys.