Midi Overdub is broken?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dboy

Midi Overdub is broken?

Post by dboy » Mon May 02, 2016 3:46 pm

just tried to record some basic midi info. Using the midi overdub feature (adding on to the existing clip) shifts the entire clip completely out of time! Is this a known bug? This is on an IPad air with latest OS. Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Midi Overdub is broken?

Post by Rim » Tue May 03, 2016 7:34 am

I'm not aware of any issue like this. I just tried recording a short MIDI part and overdubbing on top of it. I had no issues here with timing. Is this duplicatable using a clean project?

Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Tue May 03, 2016 4:08 pm

I can repeat this bug consistently in my system, Rim. iOS9.3, iPad Air, Auria 2.04 (but for me it happens since 2.0). This happens if I start an overdub record from a earlier point in the timeline (eg.: a bar before) than the original MIDI clip. The resulting clip will be shifted to the new starting point, with all MIDI data. This a little annoying, because Auria doesn't record any data during the pre-roll (meaning that if I record a MIDI note a tick before the first beat, it will be missing, or if it was an audio record, the transient would be partly lost, sometimes resulting in an irritating pop). I decided I can live with that, as long as I always record in MIDI overdub mode a bar before the clip I am wanting to record over, so I would only have to move the resultant clip forward one bar, but it would be nice if this bug is squashed.

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Tue May 03, 2016 4:10 pm

PS.: joining MIDI clips sometimes gives me headaches too: it would randomly lenghten some notes, join others and even shift the position and size of the MIDI clips. If you want, I can post before/after screenshots here to show how this frequent bug goes.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue May 03, 2016 4:12 pm

I was wondering. I've overdubbed midi a bunch and not run into a problem. But I'm pretty sure I have not gone back to an earlier starting point. That would be bad.

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Tue May 03, 2016 4:42 pm

You must have perfect timing, which is great, Rick. I, even with all my formal training, cannot avoid sometimes missing the beat a few ticks here and there. When I do it at the start of a recording in Auria, i can be a problem if I miss the tempo by playing some miliseconds before the tempo, because then the note wouldn't be recorded. When it happens in Logic, the note can be retrieved just by pulling the beginning of the clip, making it start a little earlier, and then quantizing. It cannot be done in Auria, so I always record from a bar earlier, and this unfortunately will shift the MIDI clip if overdub mode is used.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed May 04, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks, I'll look into this.

Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed May 04, 2016 4:17 pm

theconnactic wrote:You must have perfect timing, which is great, Rick. I, even with all my formal training, cannot avoid sometimes missing the beat a few ticks here and there. When I do it at the start of a recording in Auria, i can be a problem if I miss the tempo by playing some miliseconds before the tempo, because then the note wouldn't be recorded. When it happens in Logic, the note can be retrieved just by pulling the beginning of the clip, making it start a little earlier, and then quantizing. It cannot be done in Auria, so I always record from a bar earlier, and this unfortunately will shift the MIDI clip if overdub mode is used.
Generally, I'm creating the midi in Notion and importing it, and I always create a click track of some kind, that starts a bar before the music. Knowing how bad my timing is, I make sure I have something going "1, 2, 3, 4" so I can hit that first beat right . :mrgreen:

dboy

Post by dboy » Wed May 04, 2016 5:15 pm

theconnactic wrote:I can repeat this bug consistently in my system, Rim. iOS9.3, iPad Air, Auria 2.04 (but for me it happens since 2.0). This happens if I start an overdub record from a earlier point in the timeline (eg.: a bar before) than the original MIDI clip. The resulting clip will be shifted to the new starting point, with all MIDI data.
This is exactly what happens in my case as well. Thanks for confirming, hopefully this will be fixed soon.