clipping of the full mix

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mollybloom
Expert

clipping of the full mix

Post by mollybloom » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:25 am

Dear Aurists,

I have a problem I was wondering if you could help me with: i have a song with multiple tracks (kick, snare, shaker, synth bass and two lead synths. When I solo the tracks and hear them separately, they sound fine: no distortion, no clipping, no pops or crackling, but when i play the whole thing together certain notes seem to get a crackle. All volume meters are well below red, and, again, isolated, no track crackles. What could be the source of this? I have bass synth and kick drum on all fourth notes, so two bassy elements "meet" constantly, but i see no reason that this should cause crackling.

My only idea is that this is somehow a CPU thing (im running auria pro on an ipad air,) but the cpu meter only peaks at around 30, and i have bounced several tracks in place in order to go easy on the processing power. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: clipping of the full mix

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:27 am

Sounds to me like a simple case of audio clipping. In a floating point mixing system like Auria, you don't need to worry about clipping individual channels (you can have those all pegged and still not clip), but the master is where clipping can occur. Just turn down the master fader and see if that helps.

Rim

mollybloom
Expert

Re: clipping of the full mix

Post by mollybloom » Sun May 01, 2016 1:31 am

Thanks Rim -- I'll try that (and perhaps use this as a not-quite-justifying justification for buying a new ipad, hahaha :-))