Misaligned tracks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

bobbo924

Misaligned tracks

Post by bobbo924 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:21 pm

I have a simple project in Auria, all audio at this point, 5 tracks, two of which are rhythmic. All of the tracks depend upon this rhythm. It's 2.0 (not Pro) running on a 13" iPad Pro/128. When I close and reopen the project, tracks that have been lined up vertically are now misaligned. For example, two tabla tracks that have been given an overlap (two adjacent tracks, lined up and synchronized) will be shifted out of position, flamming or worse, off by a quarter to a half second. Screws up the entire project and I have to then go in and realign them manually, knowing it will happen again.

It is fundamental that a DAW be able to recall the starting point of an audio region on a track.How can I keep this from happening? Any suggestions are welcome as this renders the app useless for anything but non-rhythmic composition. Thank you.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Misaligned tracks

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:33 am

I can't understand how this would be happening. Obviously Auria stores the positions of all your regions and should recall everything exactly the way you left if when reloading the project. Are the regions themselves moving, or is it an audio (delay) issue? One way to check that is to set the time setting to Samples, then touch the regions in question. The info box at the top will show you the exact start and end positions of these regions. Make a note of these positions, then close and re-open the project. Touch them again and compare the start and end positions to what you wrote down previously. This will help me figure out if your regions are actually moving, or if it's something else, like the auto delay compensation not working, etc.

Rim

bobbo924

Post by bobbo924 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:45 am

I'll do that and get back here with the results. Thanks, Rim.

bobbo924

Post by bobbo924 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:29 pm

Of course, the doctor is in the office now so no symptoms appear. Natch. Checked the times before and after closing and reopening on 4 regions: no change. Yet I can assure you that, even though locked, there were noticeable shifts in timing on two reopens. This is similar to my problem with moving regions while in Play mode: sometimes it works, sometimes not. Headscratching. As a Pro Tools user on Mac, BOY do I want to love this app. The unpredictability is getting in the way. Should I reinstall? Is there some hope that upgrading to Pro would solve any or all of these issues?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:01 pm

Auria and Auria Pro use the same code base, so there's no difference in the way features work. I just tested a fairly large project here and had no issues with regions shifting in time. If you can isolate this issue, it would really help me, in case it's an obscure bug. There's only one bug related to timing that I'm aware of - when you add an effect which has a large amount of latency to an AUX bus (like the convolution reverb for example), the latency is not properly compensated by the compensation engine. It's on my list to address in a future update. Not sure if that's related to what you're seeing.

Thanks,
RIm

bobbo924

Post by bobbo924 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:07 pm

No, very minimal use of effects in this early stage of the project, and again, with or w/o, the timing difference is unpredictable. Thanks for looking into it. If I come up with anything that seems pertinent I'll check in.

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Sun May 01, 2016 1:21 am

As a very new user of auria (with some experience of Reaper and Protools) I'll chime in here; it is also my distinct (un.documented) experience, that sometimes the playback of different tracks in a project seems to be off-timing from what they were at a playback seconds before. It seems to happen after i've added an effect to one track, but, again, that's just a feeling and not documented. I've started locking all regions i'm working on at this very moment, which seems to have helped a bit. But i guess it's not supposed to be necessary; regions should stay in their exact place, locked or not, if i don't edit them specifically, right?

thanks for a great program though!

bobbo924

Post by bobbo924 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:30 am

To me, it is absolutely necessary that audio regions in a DAW stay exactly where I put them, and precisely registered with one another. How else can you multitrack anything, if regions are wandering around? It is one of the two fundamental requirements of a DAW, the other that it can record on multiple tracks in the first place. I guess we'll need to experiment a little bit, but I would love to see an app like this useful right out of the box. It's a wonderful achievement, taking so complex a DAW and adapting it for iPads - and of course not everyone is using a Pro, so limited resources remain a concern for all. Let's hope this can be isolated and cleaned up. Great app, but so far serious problems in operation here. Love to know it's me, because that I can correct.

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Sun May 01, 2016 3:06 am

Okay, I just tinkered with a song, and one thing certainly does make a track misalign; bouncing it in place. I just bounced a snare track in place in order to save CPU, and after doing so the track was horribly off. Is this intended or a bug? And if the former, is there a way to not make it do that?

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sun May 01, 2016 7:15 am

mollybloom wrote:Okay, I just tinkered with a song, and one thing certainly does make a track misalign; bouncing it in place. I just bounced a snare track in place in order to save CPU, and after doing so the track was horribly off. Is this intended or a bug? And if the former, is there a way to not make it do that?
I've encountered this bug, I think it's latency from insert plugins that is being added to the track, shifting it out of sync with the rest of the project. It happens with Drumagog for sure, and I think it also happens with the convolution reverb.

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Mon May 02, 2016 2:14 am

Well, in that case the bounce in track function looses a lot of its appeal for me since i precisely use it to have convolution reverb on tracks without making my ipad explode :(

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Mon May 02, 2016 2:33 am

The workaround for now is to solo the track, and do a mixdown with the option of importing as a new track - similar to bounce in place but without the added latency.

I'm sure Rim will fix the bug in time though.

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Mon May 02, 2016 2:58 am

Yeah, that's also what i do, but it just seems silly when their is a function made precisely to do this in an easy and non-workaroundy way :-(

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 02, 2016 2:05 pm

Auria definitely doesn't loose timing when opening projects. If that were the case, it would be a huge issue affecting everyone. As suggested, what you're seeing might be the result of bounces not properly compensating for the delay caused by plugins. Can you confirm that this occurs with any plugin, or just certain ones? I'll add this to my list to investigate.

Rim

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Tue May 03, 2016 1:18 am

again, bouncing a track in place with convolution reverb seems to bring it out of synch. It would be great if this bug was correctible, since it (as far as i understand) precisely CPU heavy effects like C-reverb that bounce in place makes possible to use (at least for non ipadproowners like me :-))