Reversing a copied region affects the original also

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

C-minus
Expert

Reversing a copied region affects the original also

Post by C-minus » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:21 pm

If I split and copy a small region, say a guitar lick, when I paste the region anywhere- same track, different track, doesn't matter- I've noticed across multiple projects that if I attempt to reverse only the pasted region via destructive editing, it reverses the original copied region as well. I can get around it by doing a quick mix down of the solo'd region, creating a newly named waveform. I suppose I could try rejoining the original split after I copy, but before I reverse....but just curious if this is supposed to happen or has already been addressed somewhere. Thanks in advance for any help!
iPad Air 1, Scarlett 18i8, Behringer B-2 Pro/C-3, SM 57's(backup hammer)ISA One, KRK Rockit 5's, coffee.

mtingle
Expert

Re: Reversing a copied region affects the original also

Post by mtingle » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:05 pm

select the region you want to reverse, from the process menu press 'condense region'. this makes it its own stand alone wav file. now you can reverse.

C-minus
Expert

Post by C-minus » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Worked perfectly, thank you!
iPad Air 1, Scarlett 18i8, Behringer B-2 Pro/C-3, SM 57's(backup hammer)ISA One, KRK Rockit 5's, coffee.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:16 pm

I've run into this kind of thing as well. it's good to know, that you're copying is not the sound file, but the pointer to the sound file, at least that's what I'm assuming is happening. So if you change it in one spot, you change it in all. There was a bug where unfreezing deleted other regions, and if you had multiple usages of that same named file, it disappeared everywhere.

And now I know what condense region is for. Very good to know.