Tempo map from transients

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anfirmor

Tempo map from transients

Post by Anfirmor » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:53 am

Is it possible to create a tempo map from transients? I think I read you can create midi note events from audio transients in Auria Pro like this but it would be particularly useful to utilize this feature for a tempo map.

I'm trying to think of a way to add midi to a previously recorded audio track (drums in particular) which was recorded without a click and so naturally varies in tempo and tends to speed up a little. Something like playing the existing audio and recording a transient sound track (woodblock, sticks etc.) on the downbeat of the bar and then using this to create a midi tempo map. Any slight variation from bar to bar would average out and you could achieve synchronization for the entire track length.

The alternative is to re record, which is impossible as the track captured a moment in time, or to learn to play drums and I'm far too old for those kind of shenanigans.

cheers everyone

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Tempo map from transients

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:20 am

Not at the moment, but that's an interesting idea... Have you thought about using audio warping to quantize the track?

Rim

Anfirmor

Re: Tempo map from transients

Post by Anfirmor » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:58 am

Maybe but I would rather leave the original recording in it's human state, warts n all. I like the idea of the music being a little wayward.

I suppose i could find some drum loops and time warp those to fit the track. That's another way. Still do a recorded transient click track and use this to create the timing marks for the drum loops if that's possible. Would be a cool feature though. To be able to make the midi track the music rather than the music track the midi. Would really humanize things.

Thanks for the support Rim.