HELP !!! KILLER BUG...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Cyril777
Expert

HELP !!! KILLER BUG...

Post by Cyril777 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:49 pm

After a week during I consciously imported, arranged and edited a project from BeatMaker 2 to Auria, I had almost finished. I ended up with 22 tracks, and myproject was ready to be mixed when.... when I last opened my project, here was what I had : (see screen capture) .... the audio is missing from all regions. I opened old snapshots but nothing. Of course I rebooted my iPad, I opened other projects which are fine (pfttt...), but my project stays desperately empty. I checked the project folder and all the audio files are here. So my question is : is there a function like batch import? Is there a way to select a region and re-import the corresponding audio ?
Understand me, (and look at my 23 tracks) : it took me 7 days to arrange this project, and when I see it like this... well, it seems insurmountable.... Any ideas ? And what could have happened ?
Thank you for your help
Attachments
Photo.png

Rim
Site Admin

Re: HELP !!! KILLER BUG...

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:48 pm

One simple thing to check - it looks like your waveform gain slider is set to the left. Turn it to the right, and see if that makes your audio appear again.

What's the last thing you did before this happened?

Rim

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:50 am

Rim wrote:it looks like your waveform gain slider is set to the left
Tanks for your fast answer. The screen capture is not zoomed enough but on each parts, it's written: "audio is missing". (I never touch to the little volume horizontal slider...)
And the project appeared with this problem just after opening it, there wasn't a "visible " bug or a particular action which caused this result....

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:36 am

#Rim
To be more precise about what I have done before this happens, I proceed to a "condense region" before I closed my project. But I made this operation a least 5 times before without any problems. Because I import a 10' audio track from BM2, and some of them contains just 1' of material, I erase all the empty parts, because if I don't do this, with a 25 tracks project, this project would have a weight of 9 or 10 Go...

JosephDignamMusic
Expert

Post by JosephDignamMusic » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:45 am

Forgive me if I need to start a new thread here but it looks like I have just experienced something similar...

This has happened to me on more than one occasion. This time I was simply unfreezing the guitar track to make some changes when all of a sudden my vocals disappeared.
Loading previous snapshots will not help. Reloading the track obviously will not help.
The vocal tracks on this mix are literally gone and the vocal track is actually displaying "missing" in brackets.

I am 1600kms away from home and trying to get my rough mix to a radio presenter so not ideal...

I have only had this issue since upgrading to Auria Pro and have the latest version running.

I am far from a mixing expert so maybe I am doing something wrong here

The iPad I am writing this reply on will not resize my screenshot so cannot send you the screenshot till I am back at my computer tomorrow

Please help

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:28 am

Cyril777 wrote:I proceed to a "condense region" before I closed my project
I've been burnt by the condense region function on more than one occasion. Its dangerous!

In theory it should just work, but in practice you can loose everything on a random moment. Thats what I found so never use in anymore.

King
Expert

Post by King » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:43 pm

SNAP!!!
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

JosephDignamMusic
Expert

Post by JosephDignamMusic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:49 am

Hi All,

please see screen dump below in relation to my previous reply...

[img]
Missing Vocals.jpg
[/img]

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:13 pm

@Cyril777, I feel for you. It happened to me multiple times in the regular versions of Auria (the non-pro versions). It was unexplainable and extremely frustrating. I've had to re-record the tracks that it would automatically freeze and there was no way to undo it...those tracks were randomly lost, it would say 'no audio' or 'audio unavailable'..something like that. I upgraded to the iPad Pro and Auria Pro in hopes that it never happens again, and so far, it hasn't and I have a ton of tracks in each of my projects. Sorry man, hope it works out somehow...

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Auria definitely needs a "Save As" feature. Apple's autosaving vision of the future simply doesn't blend well with professional workflow. Critical changes in this scenario must be tightly controller by the user, not by the OS.

Rim, is there a way to circunvent this iOS "feature" and include actual "Save" and "Save As" in the foreseeable future?

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:42 pm

theconnactic wrote:Auria definitely needs a "Save As" feature. Apple's autosaving vision of the future simply doesn't blend well with professional workflow. Critical changes in this scenario must be tightly controller by the user, not by the OS.

Rim, is there a way to circunvent this iOS "feature" and include actual "Save" and "Save As" in the foreseeable future?
you can do a 'save as copy' this will make an complete instance of your project and preserve it intact.

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:31 pm

mtingle wrote:
theconnactic wrote:Auria definitely needs a "Save As" feature. Apple's autosaving vision of the future simply doesn't blend well with professional workflow. Critical changes in this scenario must be tightly controller by the user, not by the OS.

you can do a 'save as copy' this will make an complete instance of your project and preserve it intact.

The problem with the "save project copy as" is that it quick overloads your hard drive space , since it doubles the weight of your project. What would really be useful is a "batch import" feature : since all audio parts were still in the project folder, maybe it should be possible.
I found another annoying issue arising from this bug : since I had no other solution than to re-import all audio parts, using the "empty regions" to find their right place, a short super loud white noise is played when the playhead crosses the empy regions limitations. And what's weird, is that this sound is still played when the empty regions have been removed and replaced with the original ones.
Once everything will be in order again, I will try to export each track and import them on a new project.
Thanks for sharing,
good luck !

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks for letting me know about this. Sounds like there's something wrong with the Condense Regions feature. I'll have a look at this and hopefully will find the bug that caused this. Sorry for the inconvenience!!

Rim

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:25 pm

mtingle wrote:

Thanks for this excellent tip. Will be doing this religiously at the end of every session from now on. I realise it fundamentally doubles the size of a project. But it's got to be worth it if anything goes wrong. Just delete the backup project once you're done mixing and mastering. Good call.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:16 am

Another option is to back up to an external USB drive. This doesn't take up any room on the iPad. Auria is compatible with lots of USB and Wifi drives.