Control Auria Pro with Korg NanoKontrol2 video tutorial

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

AndyE
Expert

Control Auria Pro with Korg NanoKontrol2 video tutorial

Post by AndyE » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Just uploaded a video on YouTube explaining how to control Auria Pro transport and mixer section with a Korg NanoKontrol2. Full control over sliders, pan, mute and solo on every track. Full control of play, stop and rewind.
I'd heard that this might be possible but hadn't seen any evidence. Please forgive my terrible video presentation.

http://youtu.be/PniOd6I1-wo
Last edited by AndyE on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Washboy
Expert

Re: Control Auria Pro with Korg NanoKontrol2 video tutorial

Post by Washboy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:41 pm

Useful vid, @Andye. Tell me though, do you notice problems with the pan response? I get the impression that Auria has a problem keeping up with the stream of data from the panpots and (on my old iPad3 at least) it causes Auria's UI to lock up for several seconds until the stream has been processed. What's your experience?

iPad3/64, iOS v8.4.1, Auria Pro v2.03

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Hi Washboy. That's what I'm experiencing too. As you say, only with the panpots. It helps significantly if you move them slowly. I'm not getting any lock up with the UI though. I'm on Air1 running 9.3. Also meant to mention that using the 'Track' buttons on the NanoKontrole2 takes you to the next 8 tracks (9-16).
But other than the slight response lag with panpots, it all works beautifully.
Last edited by AndyE on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:48 pm

I reckon you don't get any UI freeze because your Air is much faster than my 3 :oops: Interestingly, I didn't have that particular pan problem when I used a FaderPort.

I'm looking forward to trying the NanoKontrol Studio (and perhaps an X-Touch too). I've been experimenting for many moons now with various HUI controllers plus Auria (search HUI and you'll see). I'm convinced that Rim can make HUI/MCU things work much more ergonomically for us but he's had (and still has) too much on his plate to devote any time to investigating. Maybe one day! :lol:

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:59 pm

To be honest Washboy, I'm over the moon with the way the NanoKontrol2 is controlling Auria. Maybe it is, as you say, because you're using an iPad with less ram. But other than the slight lag on the panpots, it's pretty seamless for me on Air1. I imagine it will be perfect on Air2 or Pro.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:19 pm

Have fun, Andy :D

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:23 am

i Have a Focursite 18i8 that is hasn't USB midi, but standard Midi In / Out
It's possible connect it using something like that,

http://www.amazon.it/DIGIFLEX-Adattator ... s=midi+usb

preserving that functionallity?

Thanx in advance
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:20 am

acaonweb wrote:i Have a Focursite 18i8 that is hasn't USB midi, but standard Midi In / Out
It's possible connect it using something like that,

http://www.amazon.it/DIGIFLEX-Adattator ... s=midi+usb

preserving that functionallity?

Thanx in advance
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that machine so can't offer you any help. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise you.

AuriaStudios
Expert

Post by AuriaStudios » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:22 pm

Do the faders jump when going to a new project? Or does Auria wait for the fader to reach the correct value then reacting in Auria. As if it was motorized fader? Hope i was clear enough lol

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:00 pm

The faders are not motorised. They don't jump when switching to a new project unfortunately. Only cost £35 though. You'll have to set faders to what Auria is showing onscreen which is a bit counter intuitive. I've stopped using it myself as I noticed some issues when there are midi tracks in a project. Also, although good fun for a while, it did tend to actually slow down the mixing process. Hope this helps.

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:07 pm

Not sure I was exactly clear with my reply. When switching to a new project, you need to move each slider on the nanokontrol2 and Auria reacts by jumping to the sliders position. So you actually lose the sliders position in Auria which is a pain in the arse if you already have the mix nearly done. Hope that's clearer. Or have I made it worse? (Which is pretty much the question I ask myself every 5 minutes when mixing)!

AuriaStudios
Expert

Post by AuriaStudios » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:39 pm

AndyE wrote:Not sure I was exactly clear with my reply. When switching to a new project, you need to move each slider on the nanokontrol2 and Auria reacts by jumping to the sliders position. So you actually lose the sliders position in Auria which is a pain in the arse if you already have the mix nearly done. Hope that's clearer. Or have I made it worse? (Which is pretty much the question I ask myself every 5 minutes when mixing)!

Now this summed up everything for me. I know its not motorized lol but i was hoping the wouldn't make Auria's faders jump. faderport 8 it is lol