Saving to ixpand

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

charlie49
Expert

Saving to ixpand

Post by charlie49 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi everyone

I have recently saved a number of my compositions to ixpand, which works great. They were exported from Auria as separate tracks to free up space to deal with new material. They were all mixed pretty well but I noticed when I tried to reload them to Auria, the tracks all came back fine but all of the processing I had done had disappeared. Am I right in assuming that this is what happens I.e only the untreated tracks are exported and if put back, l need to add Eq, comp etc again?

Washboy
Expert

Re: Saving to ixpand

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:20 pm

Have you considered using 'Menu -> Save Project -> Save Project to Other App'?

That will save a copy of your project to a zip file and offer to 'Open In...' in, for example, your iXpand app so you can save it to your iXpand. You can then delete the project from your iPad, if you wish. To get the project back onto your iPad, you would select the zip file in your iXpand app and 'Open In...' in Auria. Auria will take the zip and unzip it, restoring the project to your iPad.

Try it :D

charlie49
Expert

Post by charlie49 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:03 pm

The project does reload from the zip but it will not restore any of the processing done with plugins. It may well be that this is normal but that then means I can only really store unprocessed files in ixpand, reload them and then add all the comp Eq etc later. From what I can see, this is the only way to do it that is create basic tracks, export to ixpand and reload when you are ready to mix and master them. Sadly, it is not ideal but at least I can empty my iPad to work on new compositions
Thanks for the reply

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:49 pm

Are the plugins that you mention Auria FX plugins (PSP, FabFilter, etc.) or IAA apps? If they're regular FX apps, loaded as IAA plugins then that will explain why their settings are lost. IAA has no mechanism for saving settings (unlike Auria's plugins) so what you describe sounds normal.

On re-reading your last post I think maybe I don't understand what you mean by "not restore any of the processing done with the plugins", when you restore the project from your iXpand. Plugins only affect the "unprocessed files" during playback and/or mixdown?

Can you give an example of a specific plugin that you've found needs to be reapplied to your project following restoration from iXpand?

charlie49
Expert

Post by charlie49 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:42 am

The exported project has all of the plugins applied that is pro mb pro q2 and so on. When it is put back into Auria, they are not there, the tracks are raw so the tracks I have spent ages mixing and tweaking are devoid of any processing. I then need to start all over again. The plugin slots are empty, no fab filter plugins are loaded as they were when the project was exported. Hope this is clear. I cannot see an answer. I suppose the question is simple, does anyone save their work out of Auria and then recall it and all the project is exactly as it was when it was exported.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:56 am

Ah! OK, that sounds like it could be a bug. I'm sure @Rim will check it out. I'll do a quick test to confirm your findings. Back later :)

charlie49
Expert

Post by charlie49 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:59 am

Thanks for you patience and time

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:25 am

Washboy wrote:Ah! OK, that sounds like it could be a bug. I'm sure @Rim will check it out. I'll do a quick test to confirm your findings. Back later :)
Hi @Charlie49. Well, I've tested and it (still) works perfectly for me. Admittedly, I use a different device than the iXpand but I think it's unlikely that will make any difference at all with zip files.

So, does this issue only happen with one particular project? Have you tried creating a simple, one track project with a single plugin applied (let's say Pro-Q, since you've mentioned you have it)? Have you noticed that it affects only certain plugins or track types (e.g. only MIDI tracks)?

charlie49
Expert

Post by charlie49 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:58 am

Thanks, I will give it a try later and let you know how it goes.

charlie49
Expert

Post by charlie49 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:18 pm

not going to try to explain it or rationalise it but the problem seems to have disappeared. I deleted all of my projects from the ixpand disc and uploaded all the projects again plus plug ins and it now seems to work.
Thanks for comments

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Glad to hear it's working for you now. Good luck with your iXpand 8)