Fab filter issue

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Tchase

Fab filter issue

Post by Tchase » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Hello all - sorry if this has been addressed already but I can't find what I'm dealing with in my searches. I updated standard Auria to Pro via IAP back when it was made available so I don't have both versions installed. 2 days later I purchased the Pro-C 2 and Pro-Q 2 upgrades. Last week I started a new project and noticed neither showed up in the list so I restored purchases. They still didn't show so I clicked purchase thinking the App Store would see that I'd previously purchased it but it did charge me $19.99 (just got the receipt from Apple). Unless I've missed an additional upgrade from Fab I'm assuming I've paid twice for it ($29.99 earlier). I contacted Apple who indicate this wasn't a duplicate purchase. I have both receipts- one names the original app purchase as Fab Filter Pro-Q 2 Plug In and the recent one as Fab Filter Pro 2 Upgrade. Regardless of this I could not get the Pro Q 2 plug in to show prior to purchasing it again through the Auria Store. I don't want to repeat this with Pro-C 2. Any advice?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Fab filter issue

Post by Rim » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:30 pm

I think the issue is that there are four separate products in the Auria store:

Pro Q 2
Pro Q 2 Upgrade
Pro C 2
Pro C 2 Upgrade

(the upgrade versions only get displayed if Auria finds that you have the original Pro Q or Pro C installed)

Apple views these as completely separate products (Apple doesn't have a way for developers to offer upgrades).

In Auria, the upgrade products will only show up if it sees that you already have the original product (for example, Pro Q 2 Upgrade will only show up if you already have Pro Q). So it's possible you bought Pro Q 2 again, when you should have been trying to re-purchase Pro Q 2 Upgrade. But in your case, Apple charged you for the re-purchase, because as far as Apple is concerned, you had never bought "Pro Q 2" in the past, you bought "Pro Q 2 Upgrade".

The way to avoid this in the future is to restore all your purchases first, and if you don't see the original Pro Q and Pro C after you do this for some reason, restore those manually by re-purchasing them (Apple won't charge you if you already own these). Then, you should see the upgrades appear in the store, and you can repurchase those without Apple charging you again.

Hopefully Apple will see why this is so convoluted and refund those purchases...

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:42 pm

Just to add to this:

You need to confirm with Apple that they have a record of your purchases of the original Pro-Q and Pro-C IAPs (presumably that was back in pre-Auria Pro days).

Next, they should have a record of you purchasing the Pro-Q 2 (Upgrade) and Pro-C 2 (Upgrade) IAPs. Those purchases will only have been possible if you'd already purchased Pro-Q (v1) and Pro-C (v1).

Finally, they have the record of you purchasing Pro-Q 2 (i.e. not the upgrade). If the previously mentioned four purchases are evident, I'm sure Apple will be happy to refund the last/unnecessary purchase.

Good luck! :)

Tchase

Post by Tchase » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Thank you for your replies! I need to correct some info from my original post. I have had ProQ & C for over a year. I purchased the "2" versions on Dec 8 a few days after upgrading to Pro- I bought the outright plugin versions and not as an upgrade (I don't remember upgrading the FF plugins being an option at the time). Both disappeared from the pull down menu and still didn't show up after running restore purchases 3 times. It looks like I bought the upgrade option in the Auria Store the other day thinking it would recognize my previous ProQ 2 purchase and not charge it again. Apple just sent me a follow up email asking if my duplicate purchase issue has been resolved. I'll reply back with more detail including some info you guys shared in this post. By the way, these plugins are a steal cost wise so I don't consider it the end of the world if I end up paying another $20 for each one- thank you Rim for developing such an awesome program that has re-energized this one soul and brought the joy of making music back!

Thanks

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:43 pm

Ah! :) So either:

1) Accept that you've paid full price for Pro-Q 2 and Pro-C 2, rather than going the "upgrade" route - in which case you simply need a refund of the Pro-Q 2 (Upgrade) IAP, or

2) Ask for a refund of the Pro-Q 2 and Pro-C 2 IAPs and then purchase the Pro-C 2 (Upgrade) IAP - to partner the Pro-Q 2 (Upgrade) IAP that you already have.

It's all a bit complicated (isn't it?) so, if you're not overly concerned about paying a little more than you need to, it might be easier to go for option #1.

Wishing you a satisfactory resolution... 8)

Tchase

Post by Tchase » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone. Apple is not going to work with me as they are saying the upgrade is a new version of the Fab Filter plugin so I didn't pay twice. I've decided not to worry about it as they don't seem to understand there are two ways to purchase the same thing and the plug ins are worth more than what I paid anyway. User error caused this problem in the first place. All I can say is that I lost access to the new plug ins, the original versions (Pro Q 1 & C 1) were still showing in the list and when I went to the store the only option even after restoring purchases was to buy the upgrade, which I thought would be seen in the App Store as a previous purchase. Oops on my part.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:26 am

OK, thanks for clarifying. Any time the Restore Purchases does't work, you can still go into the item in the store and press the "INSTALLED" button on the right (or the price, if installed doesn't show up). This will allow you to re-purchase the plugin (Apple won't charge you if you already bought that specific plugin).

Rim

Tchase

Post by Tchase » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:07 pm

Thanks Rim. The only thing that showed up in the store at the time for me was the Upgrade option on each. There was no stand alone Pro Q 2 or C 2 showing which was why I selected the upgrade- it was the only option I saw to bring those back after the restore purchases didn't work. It makes sense now as to why I was charged. It's all good- the plugins are worth it.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:04 am

That is true about the worth of the Fabfilter plugins! I've been doing a bit more work on my computer DAW of late, and despite having good VST's for EQ, compression, and limiting, I find I really miss the Fabfilter plugs. But acquiring the whole set for my desktop would require moving into a whole different price neighborhood. ;)