Multi-Channel Instrument Mixdown Issue

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Tovokas
Expert

Multi-Channel Instrument Mixdown Issue

Post by Tovokas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:43 am

When I have a setup where I'm feeding multiple tracks with midi files into a separate instrument track containing a multi-channel instrument like CrudeByte strings or Sampletank (with each of the 'feeder' midi tracks set to its own channel and the multi-channel instrument selected in the output box), the sounds play fine, but Auria won't bounce the instrument track in place, and any attempt to 'solo and mixdown' only records silence.

The only way to record the output is to create a new track and 'mix record' the section you need. (This is a required step since the sounds obviously won't be included in any mixdown for export.)

Am I missing something?

(IPad Air 1, current IOS and Auria Pro)

mschenkel
Expert

Re: Multi-Channel Instrument Mixdown Issue

Post by mschenkel » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:42 am

First of all you have to run SampleTank in my case as a IAA device. Create as many midi tracks as your parts count with their own midi clips along with their separate midi channel(at the moment there is no chance to create multichannel midi clips which would be needed to do what I'll be doing next in one step). Now bounce separately, moving ever entire your app(don't try to open multiple instances, it won't work)each midi channel(since when bouncing it will offline play just the selected midi track it will record separate instruments). Rinse and repeat.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:48 am

Thanks mschenkel, that's an approach I hadn't thought of to capture the audio.

But Rim, is there any possibility that IAA instrument output in situations like this can be a bit more integrated into Auria? Being able to send multiple midi files to a single instrument is one of the better ways to add IAA instrumentation without killing the CPU and filling up memory, and we only need to save a single preset on the instrument side to restore things in future sessions.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:57 am

The trouble is that "bounce track in place" is only designed to bounce a single track, so it's doing its job properly. If you want to bounce that track along with all of its midi sources, you need to do a mixdown instead.

Rim

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:03 am

I understand about bouncing a single track, but regardless of what instrument I use as a target of the midi file tracks, Auria only renders silence during mixdown as well.

Here's a composite image showing my settings:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:13 pm

It could be that Sample Tank doesn't like to be rendered. Auria does bounces and mixdowns faster than realtime, and some effects aren't compatible with this (they require realtime playback only). In that case, the only solution is to record them in real time.

Rim

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Tovokas wrote:I understand about bouncing a single track, but regardless of what instrument I use as a target of the midi file tracks, Auria only renders silence during mixdown as well.

Here's a composite image showing my settings:
Your settings are pretty wrong. The ST track shouldn't be set as a midi track, those should be used just for actual midi item stream to instrument. Just made a couple of tests and yours didn't worked but, in the moment that you insert ST as plugin into an audio track(arm rec it), the mixdown is done in seconds.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:43 am

Thanks, that works!

(And that might be something to put in the manual. I'm sure others have/will think that an instrument in a midi-instrument slot would be a likely target for midi data, especially since the sounds play just fine during playback. Perhaps keep those instruments from being 'midi targeted' by restricting them from showing up in the output dropdown?).

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:25 am

The point is that Auria needs objects inside the tracks to be able to manage them. For example you can't nor freeze neither bounce a bus track